IRA real estate investments?

Oak

Expert
Anybody do this? Sounds like you really need to know what you're doing.

Real estate attracts retirement funds

Buying property can be a good IRA investment, but many investors and advisers don't push the idea because of a web of complicated tax laws.
By Tom LaRocque

Special to The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 03/08/2008 06:57:25 PM MST

20080308_030448_bz09norton.jpg

Kim Norton bought a downtown loft using her IRA, sold the property and put the profit back
in her retirement account. Norton says real estate is a great alternative when investing an IRA.
(Helen H. Richardson, The Denver Post)

As a glitzy new high-rise was taking shape in downtown Denver, Kim Norton considered buying a condo there. The Glass House would be a hot property, she knew well, as a real estate agent employed by its lead developer, East West Partners.

In 2006, she took the plunge and purchased a one-bedroom, 760-square-foot loft at the preconstruction price of $215,000. The funds came not from her personal bank account but from a self-directed Individual Retirement Account.

Two years later, after renting the unit, Norton sold it for $330,000. The six-figure profit went back into her IRA, tax-deferred until she retires. She is now using the funds to purchase another property in Cherry Creek.

Real estate is little-known way to invest retirement funds. Many people, including even financial advisers, think it's illegal in an IRA.

"It is not illegal," said Bill Humphrey, principal of Entrust New Direction, based in Lafayette. The office is a member of The Entrust Group, a national firm that serves as an administrator in nontraditional IRA investing.

"A lot of people prefer real estate. That's where they've been successful and that's what they're comfortable with," Humphrey said.

To someone saving for retirement, real estate may be a good alternative to the turmoil of the financial markets.

In helping clients select IRA investments, most financial advisers say little or nothing about real estate, Humphrey said. Many have an interest in selling only securities, particularly if they represent big brokerage houses.

Even independent advisers tend to steer clear of real-estate investments in retirement accounts, largely because of the complexity.

"Compared to buying a hundred shares of IBM, it is complicated," he said.

Many Internal Revenue Service restrictions apply. For example, an offer to purchase property must come from the IRA, not from the person who owns the account. An account administrator signs the purchase contract, acting under the direction of the account owner.

After a property is purchased, the account holder can't personally pay expenses, such as utility bills. Checks are written from the IRA by the administrator. And income such as rent must flow into the IRA, not to an individual's personal bank account.

"The investment may not benefit the individual directly or indirectly" outside of the IRA, Humphrey said. All investing activity should be to grow the retirement account.

Investors sometimes dream up ways to skirt the rules, he said.

"They may think they can buy a condo in Maui and maybe rent it to their neighbor. Then the neighbor can invite them over as guests."

Such abuses, even if they were blessed by an administrator, wouldn't survive scrutiny by the IRS. Tax law prohibits the purchase of a property in an IRA for personal use by the account owner or for the benefit of family or friends.

The web of rules speaks loudly of the need for a willing and able administrator, said investor Norton.

"It is really important to work with someone who will keep you doing things the right way," she said.

One advantage is the ability to use leverage — borrowed money — to buy property. That's in contrast to securities. Brokers don't permit buying stocks "on margin" in an IRA because of the inherent price volatility.

Norton's $215,000 purchase was financed with $100,000 from her IRA and $115,000 borrowed from First Bank, based in Lakewood.

It is a "nonrecourse" loan. If it goes into default, the lender may recover only the assets within the IRA. The owner of the account, Norton, would not be liable.

"In our opinion, that's the only kind of loan that's proper within an IRA," said Pat Brady, president of First Bank's northern Colorado division.

That bank has done more than 100 loans to retirement accounts, including individual pension and profit-sharing plans, according to Brady.

Less leverage is allowed in an IRA loan. Compared to a conventional mortgage, in which someone might borrow 80 or 90 percent of the price of a home, an IRA loan goes up to 65 percent. Interest rates are higher, by about 0.5 percent or 1 percent, he said.

To invest in real estate, an IRA must be "self-directed," not the traditional type handled by most banks and brokers. Tax-deductible contributions to an IRA are limited annually according to age and income.

When building an account by contributing annually, it may take years to accumulate much capital, Humphrey said. Another route is to convert all or part of a 401(k) account from a former employer.

As a real estate agent herself, would Norton recommend using an IRA to buy real estate? Absolutely, she said. But she doesn't push the idea on clients.

"People have to get comfortable with the concept on their own," Norton said. "It may take a lot of research for someone to be willing to invest their retirement money this way."

I think there is a HUGE false assumption in this article. Real Estate does NOT always go up.

There are horror stories of people losing the house (and their IRA) because they couldn't fund their investment when it started going wrong.

As is usually the case, a reporter gives enough information to be dangerous.

Besides the fees being really high for these type of IRA accounts, there are a lot more restrictions than what was listed here.

Wonder if she took a commission when she bought and/or sold the unit? If so, the IRS would love to talk to her, so they can void her IRA and treat the entire balance as taxable. I suspect with her doing a big article like this, she may get some IRS attention. :eek:

I am sure she didn't use it for any personal use, nor did any "disqualified parties." :rolleyes:

I am sure her loan fully complied with the "Unrelated Business Income" rules that pertain to debt-financed investments in tax-free and tax-deferred entities. :rolleyes:

I am sure if the loan gets upside down, and the bank forecloses, she will be happy to know that she cannot personally bail out the investment to keep the bank from going after the IRA assets. Slight problem the IRS calls a "prohibited transaction." Minor penalty of 50%.

I guess to answer your question Oak, I tell my clients to not do it. None of them can follow all the rules, and it is a very illiquid asset with lots of risk. You would need a real big IRA to be properly diversified if your IRA had a big piece of real estate in it.

But, I am sure many will try it.

I've heard of it and In the future might do it. I've heard several goodthings and badthings about it. On the good things, It's usually from guys with an A$$ load of money in their accounts. Even them tell me the rules are crazy.

I had heard, and not sure if it's 100% right, but in order to buy a property it had to be fully funded by the IRA. I guess I was taken backthat she used the IRA "AND" a loan to buy the property. When the property get's sold, all the proceeds have to go back into the account as well. Payments, etc. it sounded complicated.

I have heard of people forming a LLC and 100% funding that who then invests into an Office building or something. the article says people try to "skirt" the rules and I'm guessing thats one way. Seems fairly scarey becasue if you do mess up the penalties are relentless !!!

The benifits of Buying Pretaxed and then sheltering your money pretaxed is huge though. I guess I don't know all the fees involved ?

1031 exchange is another way to shelter the coins and not pay taxes but there are fees and alot of stinking rules with that as well. "Like Properties" and "Timeframes" are the 2 biggest headaches. Since I'm small time, I've yet to swing any sale into a 1031 either. I've heard though once you start you're stuck.. "1031 till you die".

Back to the Article though. if I had 100k+ in my IRA, I would give it a wirl. till then, I'm just going to read about it.... ;)

Here is my barnyard economics take on it.
Don't fugg with your retirement account ! It's for retirement dumb azz !

Fact is, most people have little if any savings. If they do have something stashed away for retirement, it's likely a 401K, which most would have never even had that, had their employer not set it up.

Start young, leave that money in the plan, and by time you're ready to quit working, you should be in good shape. A 401K works by compounding interest over time, amazing how much you can accummulate. Every time you fugg with that money, take a loan, pull some out, etc. you are likely jeopardizing your retirement situation.

If you've got some other money, by all means play around with different investments, but play with money you can afford to lose or be without when you're an old fart.

Syeiny, On one hand I agree with you.. but on the other hand, if you had 200k in an IRA and wanted to buy a Rental, would it be better to use the money you have in the IRA ? Or would you borrow the money and pay interest on the loan for the rental ? Now, think like the rest of us do, we don't have hundreds of Bucks laying around to keep the IRA "AND" buy a house cash ;) So, Which would be better ?!?!?

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back