Yeti GOBOX Collection

Lowa GTX (Sheephunters)

Oak

Expert
For those of you that wear this boot, Shoebuy.com has them on sale right now for $259.45. I also got an e-mail offer that they say can be forwarded, for an additional 20% off any purchase. In addition, if you've never shopped there before, you get 10% off your first purchase. Shipping is free. So you could get this boot for about $182.

If anyone is interested, post your e-mail address and I'll forward the 20% offer to everyone this evening. If you wear something else, you might give them a look anyway. They carry a lot of brands/models, and have about the best prices I've found on the net.

Oak,

I just checked out the site and see the Tibets are on sale, but the "sheephunters" are still listed at $319?

My bad. I saw the Tibets. I don't even see the "sheephunters" offered.

Oak,

Check out the Kenetrek's at the sheep show. Mine have held up a lot better than the Lowa's did, so far. Jim also threw in a a pair of gaiters to orders taken at the show last year. Good quality gaiters, they increase the performance of the boot in wet and snow.

Don't know about the boots, but I got a pair of those gaiters for x-mas. They are really nice, like the OR style with the Velcro up front instead of a stupid zipper.

One of the guides in AK last year had a brand new pair of Kenetrek's that looked like they were two years old after 7 days. The leather was all cut up and the soles were really chewed up. One of the soles actually started coming off, and he duct taped it on. The whole boot, leather and rubber, just seemed really soft. He said they were really comfortable, but I don't think they would do very well in the really rocky stuff where I work. I just took my Lowa's off a few minutes ago, and they still look like new (bought them in Aug).

I might check the gaiters out. I've got a pair from Wiggy's that I hate.

Oak,

Jim was selling some with softer soles (better traction but worse for wear). I bought boots with the more durable soles and they have held up good. I wear out the backs of my heels first for some reason on all boots and the Lowa's went quick. Also my Lowas started coming apart where the rubber banding contacts the leather. Maybe I got a bad boot. If you've had good luck with them, stick with them.

I have the Kenetreks and the Sheephunters. I wore the Kenetreks this spring for bear and after a long day, my feet were shot. Finally got that black spot out from under my big toe nail, but thankfully didn't lose the nail. After that I went back to my Lowas.

Still wear the Kenetreks from time to time, but for my more extreme hunting, I go with my Lowa.

Paul, my one disappointment with the Sheephunter is the banding contact on the toe. It bothered me at first, but appears to only be cosmetic only (at least for the last three seasons). Unfortunately, I don't think this pair will be going up the mountain this season, their fourth. Luckily I have a back up pair in the closet and this pair will be for field work.

I have heard good things about the 'Scrambles, but don't have experience with them. I will try them on next month in Reno, but doubt I will give up on what is working great on "my" foot already.

I've been pretty happy with my Kenetrek's. I haven't gotten quite the miles on them that I put on my Meindls, but so far they've been good enough. I had a bit of heel slippage at first, but since they've gotten more broken in they're fitting great.

Back