Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Question about antelope

TLC

ok western hunters. don't have them here, so wondering what they taste like? are they on the same taste as a deer? best part is the backstrap and so on? thinking about an antelope hunt this fall in SD. any other info on them would be helpful. be bow hunting if I go.

I agree with Buzz, unless.....you strap it to the hood and drive it back to IL.:D

I love elk, but would trade my elk for antelope, so long as I was the one who got to process it and take care of it in the field.

I made some Steaks and the rest spicy italian sausage out of my 2 lopes from this year. I'ce been eating the heck out of the spicies but haven't tried the steaks yet. I'll crack them open this week and let you know.

I've only eaten antelope once, however I thought it was excellent. Nice to know there are others who feel the same.

OK, making the decision to go much easier after all of that info. next question, do you dress them the same as a deer? guessing thats a yes, but would rather here it from those who have done it. what I do with a deer is, cut the around the anus from outside, then use a gut hook blade to open it up. cut the diaphragm back, then cut the throat and pull everything straight out with a few snips here and there.

BF, do you butcher yours like a deer? sirloin tip steaks, backstraps, round and top sirloin, shoulder roasts?

thanks for all the info guys. appreciated. and the place I might be going to is in SD. one tag for $195, 2 animals for $245. no brainer there......

Yep...it's the first meat gone out of our freezer, and the kids love it too.

Biggest thing is getting the hide off and the meat on ice as quick as possible. I normally skin and quarter mine right in the field, and have ice in coolers waiting for when I get it back to the truck.

do you dress them the same as a deer? guessing thats a yes, but would rather here it from those who have done it.

well depends, IDbugler and me seen alot of Antelop carcus's in Wyoming that had maybe 30% at best, of the meat cut out of it. So, if you;r ein Wyoming, JSut take the backstraps, and part of one back leg, that seemed to be the norm....|oo |oo

I killed an antelope in Montana 6 years ago, within an hour had it skinned, quartered, and on ice in a cooler. It was shot at over 300 yards while feeding and didn't have any idea I was there, so no adrenalin. The shot was through the lungs with a 150 grain ballistic tip out of a 270, and it dropped at the shot and never moved again. At home I cut and wrapped the meat myself. Cooked up the first package of steaks, took a couple bites, and couldn't eat anymore. It was that bad. I took it all in and had it made into pepperoni sticks. I plan on hunting antelope again and I don't know what I will do different. Maybe try to get the meat cooled down even quicker, but I might have to bring along a freezer to do so.

To me there are several factors with speed goats. #1. Where are they and what is their primary food source. #2. Don't shoot them running, catch em b4 the adrenalin is kicking in. #3. Get it cooled quick. The sooner the better. All stuff prolly said earlier, but if one of those is off then it could ruin your animal.

Remember that they have 7 glands, that if you touch them and then get that on the meat, that's what the meat will taste like. Everyone that takes a pic of the animal picks the head up and supports it by the jaw. The dark patches in the side burn area are each a gland. one is right in the middle of their backs towards the rump patch area. Touch these and gut the animal with the hand that's not clean and you have wild meat. I love em.

They are great eating.. but whatever you do, don't pick a rut crazed buck in 90 degree weather that's been running does for a week straight, shoot him in the leg, then chase him all day long across the prairie before killing him. I'd rather eat a turd..

from what I've been told, be hunting over either a watering hole, or at a fence crossing. hunt is going to be in SD in september. haven't checked yet what the temps are like then, but guessing warm to hot. always wear rubber gloves when I clean an animal, so shouldn't be passing anything from the glands to the meat. but thanks for the warning.

I like them. But the loins and back straps are a little tough on the one I got in MT. The AZ one i donated to hunter for hungry, but i did eat a little raw stuff while quartering it in the field just to see what it was like and it was good. I offered some to Stan but he declined...

I like the antelope a lot...not sure it is my fave tho. My favorite antelope recipe is marinating the backstraps in bbq sauce and honey and putting em on the grill. Can't go wrong.

I'm surprised people think they are so good. Some I've eaten were great and some weren't and I don't know what made the difference. They were all shot and died pretty quick, were gutted practically imediately and cooled down in cold weather before processing and going to a freezer for the long trip back to Texas.

.. but whatever you do, don't pick a rut crazed buck in 90 degree weather that's been running does for a week straight, shoot him in the leg, then chase him all day long across the prairie before killing him.
Unless he goes by the name "Freak".:D

SS hit the nail on the head. Those glands are NASTY. I grabbed one by the neck one time and my hands stunk for over a week. I couldn't wash the smell off for anything. Deisel fuel smell will were off before that stink goat smell does. Touch those and then touch any meat and the taste will transfer. Good luck they are a blast to hunt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back