Putting Meat in the Freezer with my Son

Buschy

Last Friday my son and I went bowhunting for a doe to put in the freeezer. We got in the blind an got situated for the evening. Abut ten minutes into the hunt, I noticed a nice rooster walking at the edge of the field 60 yards away. I pointed it out to my son and told him if it came close enough I was going to try to shoot it. I have been trying to get a rooster with my bow for years. They put turkeys and whitetails to shame in regards to being wary in my opinion. The rooster slowly worked closer and the anticipation of actually getting a shot was killing both of us. At about 13 yards I was able to draw back and put an arrow right on the money. I let my son go out the get the bird by himself and he was quite proud as he walked back to the blind. About 15 minutes after settling down in the blind for a second time a small doe came down the trail and gave me a great shot at 15 yards. I broke the shoulder and she went straight to the ground. My son jumped up, gave me a huge hug, and declared his dad was the best shot in the world!!!!! That is absolutely priceless!!

Later that evening my son, soon to be eight years old, mentioned maybe he should be sitting in the "shooting" chair next fall. I told him if he thought he was ready that would be fine by me. Little does he know I bought him a Parker Buckshot youth bow for Christmas this year. Up till now, he has been shooting with a little compund bow sufficient for target practice, but not hunting. He has been shooting well and this is the big step to a "hunting" bow. We are going to get him signed up in the youth league at the local archery club right after he gets the new bow. I am fortunate to have such a great hunting buddy and am really looking forward to next year! Thanks for looking at our trophy pheasent and deer!

Attachments

• 2007 Bowhunt Jakey.JPG
    2007 Bowhunt Jakey.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 2007 Bowhunt Jakey 2.JPG
    2007 Bowhunt Jakey 2.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 90
way to choke the chicken!

congrats Buschy and son!

Buschy:

Rooster with a bow. Now that is cool. More cool to have your son in the blind.

Great job on the doe and the pheasant.

Best,

Randy

Congrats! A smile like that's worth all the hell he'll give you in about 8-10yrs! ;) Looking forward to days afield like that with my son someday.

Sweet work Busch. Doe with bow-SWWEEEEETTT, Ditch parrot with bow-NNNICCCEEEE, your son with the share the experience-PRICELESS

I took my son whom is 32 last weekend and its still a hoot. Great job dad and keep enjoying the good times. olefish

Good job on the bird, the doe, and congrats on the great parenting. You know you must be a good dad to have your boy in the blind with ya, and not leaving him home.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back