ND Rifle Antelope

Buschy

Our 2007 goat hunt went well. We left a day before season opened for SW ND to scout and set up camp. We found four nice bucks that were between about 13 1/2 and 14 1/2 inches. One in particular was very wide and had character. I snuck in to about 150 yards and looked him over through the spotting scope for around 10 minutes. The next morning I snuck in and found him again as the sun came up. He was with three other bucks and four does. They were not in a position for a shot so I waited two hours for them to feed and move into an area more conducive to a stalk. When I had moved in as close as I could, I ranged the buck at 417 yards. I missed him with my initial shot and put him down with the second. I also had a doe/kid tag and took a doe out of the same group with my third shot. My father-in-law filled both of his doe/kid tags later that evening. We had a great hunt!

He is just over 14 inches, but the neat part is he has a 17 1/2 inch spread!

Attachments

• 2007 Greg Rifle.JPG
    2007 Greg Rifle.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 244
  • 2007 Greg Rifle 2.JPG
    2007 Greg Rifle 2.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 252
Buschy:

Great buck. I love the look he has from the front.

Congrats on a cool trophy.

Nice.. It even came with a purple ribbon on it's horn !!! That should be worth something ?!?!?

Kudos !!

Calif. Hunter,

My Vanguard is a 7mm Rem. Mag. I have a 22.250, which is probably a more appropriate antelope caliber, but I love this rifle and shoot it well.

Smalls,

I think rigor mortis was setting in. It was very easy to set up the picture, which isn't always the case.

justdada,

I did hit him in the rear end and broke the leg bone near the hip. The shot on the doe was placed right in the boiler room after a slight sight adjustment. Good catch.

Great Buck!

Wow I like that animal. I would love to trade a Caribou hunt for a speed goat like That one!

Walt
Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
Your best bet in Rafts, Canoes and Camp rentals
www.northwestalaska.com
Kotzebue, Alaska

:eek:

I think that is the best field pic I have seen in a long time. Sure that wasn't taken at a petting zoo?? LOL. Congrats!!!!!

Back