Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Couple of 1st pronghorn bucks!

1_pointer

My dad joined for a trip to WY to try out a pronghorn unit that kills most average men... :D We drove over on Friday, the 14th and got settled in to get an early start on opening day, and I mean EARLY. We jumped the gun a bit and were out in the unit about 1hr 20min before the sun even started peaking over the horizon. It wasn't long and we were into some pronghorns. Opening day saw us blow a couple of stalks, one by me by being a bit too impatient. I could just see some horns over the crest of a small hill so we sat down to wait him out. I got Dad set up on the shooting sticks, but after not seeing him for a few minutes I got antsy and crept over the hill. The buck spooked and gave my Dad a much harder shot than he should have had. A couple more blown stalks and a few missed shots were how the day went, until later in the day. We both had two doe tags and were able to close the distance on a lone doe by the fence line. Next thing you know, my Dad has his first pronghorn on the ground, though it did have a bit of ground shrinkage....but it's gonna eat well!

Day 2 was a lot more productive. We started out the morning slipping over some hills that hid a bunch of antelope from the road. Dad went one way and I went the other. I spotted about 100 head on the other side of the hill and started around the opposite side when I spied one feeding and two others bedded down. I duck walked as close and I could and started doing the Fat Guy belly crawl. About 30yrds from where I needed to be I caught some movement out of the corner of my eye and spied two does working up the drainage from behind me. Already being prone I swiveled by rifle around and bopped the first one to walk into my crosshairs. This was the first time I've shot by .338 from prone so I was expecting to get a bit of a whack, but no dice. My eyebrow stayed intact. Doe #2 was down...
DoePronghorn09-16-07WY43.jpg

Just before noon we worked our way back to the base of some hills that we'd noticed alot of pronghorn working across the previous day. The big herd gave us the slip, but Dad did get within 100yds of three does, but passed beings we were a ways from the truck. Heading over the hill, we bumped a small group of does and a buck that were bedded down. Another truck coming down a parallel road about 1/2mile away spooked the does farther away and sent the buck back toward us. He went over a couple of small hills and stopped to feed on the flat. Once we drove out of sight I bailed out and crawled over the hill to find the buck bedded down chewing his cud. I did the Fat Guy belly crawl over the hill to get within about 225yrds, which was close enough...and I had my first buck pronghorn.
1stBuckPronghornWY439-16-07thePi-1.jpg

1stBuckPronghornWY439-16-07thePipel.jpg

Hearing me shoot, Dad drove the truck around only to spy another buck out on the flat. Unbeknownst to me, he was able to get within range and now had his first buck on the ground as well!
Dads1stBuckPronghornWY435.jpg

Dads1stBuckPronghornWY437.jpg

Sorry about the bad picture, but we were racing a storm that dumped quite a bit of water over the next 12hours. Here are our two bucks...
ThePIPELINEBUCKS3.jpg

Congrats, 2-1/2 weeks and I'll be going after my first as well.Hope my hunt ends as well as yours.

1 Pointer:

Cool story and great bucks. Thanks for sharing.

Sure these won't be your last pronghorns.

Congrats!

Thanks for the kudos!

One quick funny story; on our way out opening day we were getting checked by a game warden. We showed him our licenses etc...then he asked where the teets were on my dad's doe. He then started explaining about leaving the evidence of sex on the animal (btw, we had the whole field dressed animal) and how for does the teets are the best option, even if the critters boned out. Well, Dad doesn't hear all that well and the game warden was pretty soft spoken and I could tell that Dad was having a hard time following what the guy was saying. Then he pipes up, "What the f**k do you keep saying?"

GW, "Teets"

D, "What the f**k are teets?"

I blurt out, "Nipples"

GW, "Yeah, nipples"

D, "Oh...well, in Indiana we call them f**king tits!"

GW, "Well, that's what the are, teets are just more...PC"

D, "They're still tits!"

GW, "Yep"

Quite the little exchange. I know I was having a hard time from busting a gut laughing at the whole thing...

1 pointer- Great pronghorn for you and your dad. I sure had a great time. Again, congrats on your pronghorn.

Thanks again for the kudos. Talked with Pops tonight while he's at work, I think he's still on cloud 9 from the trip. Just WAY more different that tree stand hunting for whitetails.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back