Caribou Gear Tarp

Canned Venison?

DixieLady

I found a place where they have recipes for Canned Venison and was wondering if anyone else cans venison?
TheViperess is also interested in this.
The place I located with some recipes is located Here
Anyone know of any other recipes for canned venison?:confused:

Sreekers, Thanks for a reply back. You wouldn't happen to recall how your Mom canned it, do you?

my mom and dad use to can it and i loved it, its basically precooked meat, i use to warm it up and make kinda a gravy out of it and put it on mashed potatoes. I ate quit a bit of it in college and my picky cousin even loved it.

I make about 30 Quarts a year. All you need is a large pressure cooker, jars and lids. Fill jars to within 1/2" of top of with raw meat and very little water, clean rim real well place lids on hand tight. Place in pressure cooker at 10Lbs. for 90 minutes. When 90 minutes is up place jars to the side and listen for them to seal. It really is a treat to eat. Ready to mke Burritos, stews, lunch spread or about anything you want to drum up. I ad a Teaspoon of salt to a quart if making just plain but also make some with onion, brown gravy mix, green chili, garlic, ect.. Just use your imagination.

I also can meat the same way the Rutten has stated I put BBQ sauce in the jar to add flavor it turns out Great !!

Another way to impart flavor is to drop a buillion cube into each jar. I can some ever year as I like the taste and texture of it. It is great when you forgot to take anything out of the freezer.

Nemont

Canned Venison, Boiling Water Method
1. Wash meat well with cold water and trim off fat. Cut into 1" squares.
2. Fill clean jars with meat chunks to within 1 1/2" of top and add 1 tsp. of salt to quart jars and 1/2 tsp. to pint jars. (check jars for cracks and chips, esp. on the rim, do not use bad jars.)
3. Add approximately a 1"x 2" piece of beef tallow (fat) which can be purchased at your local grocer or anywhere that they process meat. Fill jars with water. Some people add a beef bouillon cube for extra flavor.
4. Soak new jar seals in bowl of hot water for at least 5 minutes to soften seals. Wipe rims of jar to ensure sealing process. Place seals and rings on jars and place jars in canner.
5. Fill canner to cover the tops of the jars and turn on high heat. When water comes to a boil, reduce to medium heat and time for 3 hrs. Check occasionally to make sure that water is still covering tops of jars, (add more if needed)
6. When done, remove from heat and lift jars from canner. As they seal, the jars will make a popping sound. If you have any jars that don't seal, refrigerate and use within a day or two. Store canned meat in cupboard away from sunlight. I have kept and used them right up until the next deer season. Canned deer meat can be used in basically any recipe that calls for beef

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back