Caribou Gear Tarp

My 2007 CO Buck (pics)

BOHNTR

CO_07_061.jpg
Well, I finally made it back from the Colorado high country after being in the wilderness for eleven days. I can’t believe how good food tastes that you don’t have to add water to. What a hunt! I’ve never been sheep hunting, but this timberline backpacking mule deer archery hunt above 12,000 feet must be comparable......physically. I’m down to 155 pounds!

I saw several huge bucks, including a 195-200” net typical I crawled up to 21 yards of while he was napping…just couldn’t shoot him in his bed (darn limb). Well, after casually checking his right flank (after I waited for 20 minutes for him to get up), he must have thought that ugly looking bush (me) wasn’t there two hours earlier.....so he changed his address immediately....leaving me sitting there about ready to cry. Oh well, bowhunting isn’t supposed to be easy.

After several close encounters throughout the week, I decided with two days left to try and arrow a buck I passed on 5 days earlier. We nicknamed him “Crab” because his crab front forks....but he had a lot of mass and good backs. He was also fairly wide with a classic basket rack that the G2’s curved inward.

I spotted “Crab” bedded on the side of an open bowl with five other bucks. It was going to be a difficult stalk in the steep wide open, but I’d been able to do it several times throughout the week.....maybe this time a limb or the wind will cooperate.

I ended up getting into good bow range and put an arrow through him. He piled up about 120 yards away....AT THE BOTTOM OF THE CANYON!!!!! The buck died at about 11,300’.....bad thing was, I had to pack him over a saddle of 12,400’ to get back to camp two miles away...talk about a long night.

The buck was a bit bigger than I thought when I got to him. He gross scores in the mid 170's and will net in the mid 160’s...this is with only an 18 4/8” main beam on his right side. His outside spread is right at 27”. Not the monster I had earlier in the week, but a good P&Y class buck that I physically worked pretty darn hard at. Hope you enjoy.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back