How Do You Grill Salmon Steaks?

DRAFTSTUD

The wife and I are really trying to eat healthy, so I saw some Salmon Steaks and bought them to grill. I put some Tonys on them and grilled them. Tasted very strong, stronger than I care for my fish to taste. Any suggestions? Chef I Ain't. John

I'm lucky because I live 30 miles from the Pacific and get fresh salmon tossed at me all the time. If your salmon has a strong, fishy flavor it means that more than likely it was feeding on baitfish and anchovies as opposed to krill. Krill-feeders are the sweetest tasting fish going.
I ALWAYS BBQ my salmon slabs of filets (never steaks with bones) -with the skin on. I descale the hide by blasting it with a nozzeled garden hose on the lawn.
1st, I coat the meat side with garlic, butter and pepper. I put it skin side down on the grill until it's done. If the butter catches fire -no big deal- it only enhances the flavor. Nothing finer.

My first thought is you bought some "not so fresh" salmon. I hate buying fish and seafood and rarely do from the store.

Here's how I grill mine-fillet, skin on, soak in a bag full of your favorite flavor of bottled marinade-lemon pepper, garlic herb, whatever. Get a fish grilling basket for the fillets, throw some wood chips on for smoke and just grill. Really simple, marinade them overnight. Would probably work well for stronger tasting fish.

Another thing that might help is to take the skin off-the layer of fat between the skin and meat may be contributing to the strong taste. I have always left the skin on, but I have only used this recipe on freshly caught wild salmon.

Filets cooked skin side down with olive oil and cajun spice rubbed on the meat side. Cook for aprox. 12 to 20 minutes based on filet thickness and desired doneness. I don't eat the skin and when cooked right the skin should easily come off from the meat.

IDHunters, you're right. There's a big line of smelly fat right under the skin that can taste awful. That's why I attempt to nearly fry the hide off and hope the garlic will replace the taste. Oh yeah, I don't eat the skin.
I forgot to mention the grilling "fork" (or basket) I use -alot like what the Indians used- so I can flip the fillets without them falling apart.

Well, tha Boy came in from some girls House and asked what was for Supper, took a bite of it and looked at me like he bit a Green Turd! I appreciate all the advice. John

I make a pan out of 3-4 pieces of foil with the edges bent up and melt a cube of butter on it then dip the salmon and put lemon pepper on it. I then squeeze lemon juice all over it and BBQ it turning it once. You get a nice smoke flavor without drying out the fish. I always skin my salmon and cut the brown off of them.

I buy it smoked mostly, its already cooked and its good. Ask a Jew around there, I think they know. Don't they eat it raw, lochs?

Lox is salmon fillet that has been cured. In its most popular form, it is thinly sliced (less than 5 millimeters in thickness) and, typically, served on a bagel, often with cream cheese.

Here ya go Tom.

Clarify about 1/4 cup of butter. Mix it with about 1/4 cup of olive oil. Coat the steaks with the butter/oil mixture then roll in a breading made from crushed ritz crackers, parmessan cheese, oregano, dill, garlic salt and Rosemary. Cook the fish over a very hot fire for about two minutes on each side. Serve with your favorite side dish. I've found the a pasta dish like Fetuccini or PadThai is good.

:cool:

The BEST I've ever had is how I do it!
cold Salmon fillets skin on.......
1/4#/1 stick butter
12-15 crushed fresh garlic cloves
melt butter with garlic in microwave
add prox 1 cup brown sugar and mix well
lay "cold" fillet skin side down on aluminum foil pan (several layer thick, with edges turned up)that you created
spoon mixture over the entire fillet, it'll set up on the fish.
carry aluminum pan on large cutting board or cookie sheet to your grill
it depends on thickness of fillet but grilling should take not more than 15-20 minutes, DO NOT overcook.
I've found that even the fish haters will eat this.
WD

I make kind of a "boat" out of aluminum foil (like what ringer mentioned). I'll put some butter in the bottom of the foil, then bacon bits (ones of real bacon, not baco's), sage, and assorted other spices. I put the spices on both sides of the salmon as well as the bacon bits. Almost the only way I eat salmon other than smoked.

If you have a problem with salmon flavor, try skinning it and then blackening it Cajun style. Pref king, more oils. Throw it on a caesar salad or something. Most people like it this way. You can cut out the fat line this way also.

SJ, We bought some Catfish Fillets this weekend and did the Blacken trick. They were real good with the Jumbo Shrimp I did on the grill. Baked potato and corn....This eating healthy ain't too bad. BTW I have dropped 13 pounds since the first of the month. John

Planked

Soak a cedar plank in water all day and then put the fillet on the soaked plank. Place the plank on the grill and cook like normal. Don't let the fillet overcooked and dry out, just to the point of flaking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tracker boat
Back