Mom's 2007 Antelope

nmtaxi

My mom was once again able to draw a mobility-impaired antelope hunt. The mobility-impaired hunt is unit wide and the hunter's are not assigned a ranch, so she hunts public land.

We headed to the area Friday afternoon, and got there in time to do some scouting. We saw a lot of really nice goats, and a couple of exceptional ones. We came across this one late Friday, and took some video and pics of it. After looking at the video that night, we figured it would score around 80". We've seen bigger ones, but my mom really liked this one. She really like the way he hooked straight back, and decided this was the one she wanted to go after.

PIC_0009cr.jpg

We headed out early Saturday morning, and hoped to find the buck in the same area. He was hanging around in some real checker-boarded areas of state and private land. 5 minutes after shooting light, we found him right in the middle of a state land pasture. He was about 350 yards out, and my mom took a shot. She shot right over him, and we watched as the buck made his way onto private land.

We took a road that would take us closer to the buck, and luckily he kept running through a mile of private land, and back onto state land. Anybody that has hunted antelope much knows that if you keep after them, they're bound to do something stupid. The younger buck that was running with this buck, suddenly began moving toward. The bigger buck followed, and was soon only about 150 yards off. My mom squeezed off the shot, and the hunt was done.

The buck scored right where we thought it would, between 80" and 81". It really didn't matter though, because that was the one she wanted.

DSCF1166cr.jpg

DSCF1183cr.jpg

That's a beautiful pronghorn. Congrats! If I had to guess the size on that buck it would be much higher than 80-81.

Man that has some kinda mass!! Congrats to your Mom and kudos to you for taking her out and staying after 'em.....Nice!

Thanks guys. This is always a fun hunt for the family. My kid has an antelope hunt in a few weeks, but I don't think he'll be able to out-do his grandma.
Last year she killed an 84" goat. This one actually looks a little more impressive, but doesn't score as well.

Thanks for looking guys.
cjcj, luckily she got it first thing in the morning. The mobility impaired hunt is the first of the year. The archery hunt starts 1 week later. The g&f really need to push all the antelope hunts later in the year.
It does score right around 81. NM antelope don't get near as big in the body as northern antelope in Montana or Idaho. Kind of like a TX whitetail, it sure make the horns look bigger:D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papretzelman
Back