Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Scope covers....

Moosie

Grand poopa
Are they worth it ?

I've seen guys with covers that flip up. they seem to break easily. Just wondering if anyone uses them and how they like them. I actually buy several Scope Bikini's and use those alot. They tend to get lost, etc. Seems I'm in the weather quiet a bit and have had wet scopes and they are truely hard to see through :)

Any thoughts ?

I have a flip-up on the front of my scope that's been there since I put the scope on (10 years???). I always carry my rifle slung, so I've never had a problem with the eyepiece getting wet, or not enough to worry about a cover. I have little clearance between the bolt and scope as it is, so I don't want it to be any closer.

Ive used the butler creek style scope caps for several years and every rifle I have has a set on it. Not the blizzard series they suck. The first time I saw someone with them I thought what a dumbass, then a couple years later I tried them, now I wont leave the truck without them. Ive had them on when Im coyote hunting ,elk,deer, what ever and have drug them through cedar swamps in michigan and have never broke one. They also stay on my scopes in the off season and you dont get that little dust film on them when there in the safe. most time when the weather is good I take off the caps and carry them in my pocket but on a janurary coyote hunt in Michigan you never know what youll get and they are worth having in a wet snow storm everytime. The cost is about 20.00$ a pair and the are worth every penny.

Try the good old section of inner tube, fits like a Bikini cover but you can get a lifetime supply from one $15 inner tube. Keeps water and dust out and all you need is some para cord to attach it to the barrel of your scope.

On the coast of California here, we have that natural element known as wind-driven fog off the Pacific that soaks everything and anything till it's dripping wet -even during the summer. Springloaded, flipup caps are essential. When I go through the brush, leaves of greasewood and poision oak are magically drawn to my objective lenses, then when a buck breaks out, they stay plastered to the lens -effectively blocking the crosshairs- and refuse to budge until blown off. By this time I've waved goodby to Mr.Buck. Butler Creek flipup caps give me half a chance. Certain models are translucent, while I have one pair on the Weatherby with the pushbutton releases.
There's one situation I ran into last year where nothing would have helped. I was at pretty high altitude in a very stiff wind with snow clouds blowing over the peak I was on. I was warm and toasty when on the move but when I sat down to glass, steam started pouring off of me. At first my glasses, scope and binos only fogged up, but then they ALL froze over in a sheet of frost/ice.
Hell, I was blind and there's no kind of scope cover would have helped in that situation. I stayed put until things thawed out a bit.

How come Schmalts ?
Because they come off in a second with one pull, and seal the ends of the scope super water tight. The other reason is they don't have little hinges that can break, and they take up no room in your pocket if not needed, and if there is not wet weather i don't want them on my gun anyway. trust me, pick up a set, and try them out they are cheap, and indestructible.
they also don't flip back and slap your forehead like the flip up ones will on magnum shots. Here is a link to see them but most sporting good stores have them. Heck, ask if you can open the package and install them on a scoped rifle and see how fast they can be yanked off compared to flipping those other ones up. I despise the other ones compared to these.
http://www.butler-creek.com/products/scopes_bikini.html

http://www.opticsplanet.net/picture-1-butler-creek-bikini-scope-cover-1900.html

Schmalts :

I actually buy several Scope Bikini's and use those alot. They tend to get lost, etc.

I'm very familiar with the Bikini's. Looks like you're not reading posts again before you reply ;) I was jsut asking WHY you prefer them. Now I know thanx :D

Schmalts :

I'm very familiar with the Bikini's. Looks like you're not reading posts again before you reply ;) I was jsut asking WHY you prefer them. Now I know thanx :D

Try Bikini covers, best out there. go pick some up.;)

you dont lose them, you toss them out after you use them as a condom for sheep now don't you:D

I've had the butler creek flip ups and like them a lot. On my last VX-III I got them to throw in the leupold alumina flip ups. I haven't hunted with them yet so I can say how tough they are, but man are they sexy!! They also use magnets to close so they are silent when you open and close them (my butler creeks would make a snap when I closed them). Not sure I would pay $100 for the leupold's but so far happy to have them!

Anyone have trouble with the Butler Creek covers slipping off the scope? On my VXI, I've had to physically push the covers back on the scope to keep them on. It happens over time, not every time I use the rifle.

KP

schmalts- Funny you should mention condoms...I was in a gas station when a couple guys came in asking for condoms. I must have looked at them funny. The guy explained he was bear hunting in Idaho and forgot his scope covers. He said condoms worked great...just make sure they weren't lubricated. I guess I'll just have to take his word for it. I normally don't use scope covers although I could see their usefulness at times.

Matt-where were you working at, the brokeback mtn general store? yeah, they're for my, um, scope, ya thats it.

Did they invite you back to their camp?

KPhuntr, never had any trouble with the caps trying to slip off, but I've had some problems with the pins (which also hold the tension spring in place) slipping out of their bores. If I lose the popup spring I might as well toss the cap away. On the ones I've had problems with I applied a drop of superglue to the ends of the pins, being careful not to glue the return spring in place.
Maybe a quick fix for you would be to tightly wrap some electrical tape around the sleeve part of your caps where they slip over the bell ends of your scope so they don't slip?

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rgreen
Back