Yeti GOBOX Collection

Moose charge

Fugg! I didn't hear him say that he was glad that bull charged did I?

That there will frickin age you a year or two! hump

Moose on the Loose!

:p Indy Brad

Most folks think Griz is the most dangerous animal in the woods of Alaska but a lot more people get charged by moose each year than ever by Griz. The ones that are the most dangerous are cows with claves at their side.

This spring I was at my cabin on the edge of Wrangle St. Ellis National Park doing some construction. At the end of a very long day I decided to take a walk around my property to see what was new. I ran into a moose in heavy black spruce with the largest tree being about the size of your arm. I snuck around a pile of rocks to get a close look and put out a grunt or two to get a response. Mistake!! The moose raised it head from browsing and it was a cow and about 40 yards away. Its ears were laid back and hair on its neck was at full attention. As the cow pulled around to get a look at me I saw a calf at her side and knew that I was screwed.

She took off after me and was on me in about 3 seconds and I was on the run looking for some to climb but the average tree would not even hold up a porcupine let alone my ass! I tripped over a pile of rocks about the size of a pick-up truck box. I jumped behind it just in time to duck out of the way of the cow up on her rear legs and trying to punch me in the head with her front hooves. She made 3-4 attempts to punch my lights out and I was dancing like John Travolta trying to keep the pile of rocks in between her and me. After the 3rd attempt to get me I started to yell like a wild man and she looked at her calf and both of them made a bee-line for the hills.

Long story short I had to check my heart to see if it was still ticking and clean the sh*# out of my shorts. Cow moose + calf + Walt = dead Walt!

Walt
Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
Your best bet in rafts, canoes and camp rentals in all of NW Alaska
www.northwestalaska.com

Wow.... that was scary. But i couldnt help but wonder what kind of hit he had with such a quartering forward angle?

His article was in the last Bowhunter. Excellent write up and camera man.

IIRC, recovery distance was a couple hundred yards.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back