Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Need lope pictures for learning to judge

schmalts

So show me what a BIG lope looks like. Anything B&C all time.
Need to get an eye for what to look for when i go to AZ in less than 2 months.

Go to the Grimmet's website: www.pronghornguideservice.com and buy their video. Learn how to judge them by using the eyeball and breaking down the horn. Make sure you really study a lope before you shoot one on that hunt. Would be a shame to go that far, spend that kind of time and money, just to kill an antelope. You can kill a nice buck every year in MT or WY. Make the most of that Arizona hunt. Don't shoot a nice one, hunt for a REALLY big one.

I'll give a couple of valuable tips - I can explain why, but to save time I'll just say trust me. They are the best 2 tips you'll get without a doubt if you want to shoot a good one.

1) Whatever you do, do NOT shoot one that doesn't appear to have good mass (heavy horned) from every angle. Otherwise, be prepared for serious ground shrinkage. Use the thickness of the antelope's eye to gauge the thickness of the horn.

2) If you have 7 days to hunt, go 5 days before the season and look at as many of them as you can. Then shoot the biggest one you've seen in those days prior to the season on the opener. Leave yourself an extra day in case you can't shoot him right away.

So what do you consider a nice lope?? score wise that is. what is with the eye to horn judging thing?

Schmalts,

Quit asking dumb questions and do as you're told.;)

Seriously, you've been given some excellent advice...Grimmit goes into great detail on how to judge antelope based on several things including using the eyeball. Its THE best way I've ever seen to judge antelope.

BUY THE VIDEO.

Mass means a lot on Antelope, but where the prong sits also means a lot because of mass. You want a prong that sits way up. If you were to look at his horns and the ears look like they are taller than the prong don't waste you time on him. The prong has to be taller than the ears. The horns can be only 14" or 15" and still make the book if your mass carries way high and the prong is LONG. Ron

Put your time in Pat and don't be afraid to pass on bucks early to find a pig like this one.:p ;) The picture just doesn't do this guy justice. Axl retrieved this one to hand.:D
P11208612Small.JPG

Good luck on your hunt and please share your experience with some pics.

later Beaotch...

Ever thought of slapping some white paint on Axl in certain places and using him for a decoy??? ;)

I hope to find a buck that big in WY this fall...I can only hope! :D

Miller, was axe steady to wing and shot on that one? When he got to it did he try to do the wild thing with it since it looks about the same size as a yellow lab bitch?
Hey, when i am out in MT bow hunting i will shoot any old lope with horns probably and would be happy with my first lope bow kill as you were.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back