Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Let's see your goat!

T Bone

Post some pics of your mountain goats please!

I'm starting to get psyched for this fall. If we have decent weather,finding the goat will not be terribly difficult. Getting him out will be a fun chore again.

I picked up a copy of Gilcrest's goat judging video and it helps. The problem is that I'll be 3/4 mile away when glassing them. The difference between a decent billy and a great billy will be an inch. I'll have to get up close and personal to judge them before I decide to whack him.

Here he is:
215943276_99fdf2f842.jpg

I haven't killed him yet. ;)

The difference between a decent billy and a great billy will be an inch.

IMO, this is a good reason to look for a goat with with a good cape foremost. Average goats look good on the wall if they have good hair. Good luck.

Nothing like hunting in the flatlands, eh?
If you shoot that sucker, he'll deliver himself to the bottom of the hill for you! Of course, there might not be much left in the way of horns, but the meat should be plenty tenderized...

Might be easier to just blow the bottom of the mountain up with some TNT and hopefully that goat will fall in the back of your truck! :eek:

Sorry to hijack your post, Tbone. Just a photo I found on the net.

Continue boys...goat pictures.

Here's my Montana goat. 9 3/4" x 5 3/8". 47 1/2" overall. Shot in mid November. With temps today pushing 100 degrees, this picture looks very refreshing. I think it's going to be one heck of a fire season this year.

Attachments

• goat 1scr.jpg
    goat 1scr.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 820
Here's my Montana goat. 9 3/4" x 5 3/8". 47 1/2" overall. Shot in mid November. With temps today pushing 100 degrees, this picture looks very refreshing. I think it's going to be one heck of a fire season this year.

That is an awesome pic! How often do you get drawn for MT goats? Is it like a once a decade thing or easy to come by?

How often do you draw MT goats...

Miller seems to 'tag out' pretty regularly.

As for me, this year made 17 without a tag...

Well I've posted this one a few times before. About identical to BHR's, 9 3/4" x 5 5/8" 48 1/2 B&C. Shot him over Labor Day Weekend a few years back at 40 yards with a 225 gr partition out of a 338 Win Mag. Great hunt and I keep applying every year, but haven't been lucky enough to draw again. Good luck on your hunt.

GOATHUNT2.jpg

GOATHUNT9.jpg

Cooke City-Beartooth Mountains area S. S.. Took him in 1990 so I can start putting in again next year. With the point system now in effect, I'll be lucky to draw one more time before I croak........but I am blessed with lot's of luck.

Curly,

9 3/4" is the horn length. 5 3/8" is the base measurement. That plus 1st, 2nd, and 3rd quarter measurements of both horns equals overall score.

Heres my goat, killed in Montana on Nov. 1st 1998.

Not quite as good as the goat BHR shot, but really good hair and a nice billy, its right at 9 on both sides. I saw over 60 goats in 16 days of hunting.

gt1.JPG

Another look:

buzzgoat2.JPG

Gilchrist probably covers this in his book (I haven't read it), but I want to add a bit about judging goats.

TB's goat is an excellent example of what to look for--horns about as long as the face from nose to eyes which puts his horn length in the 9 to 10 inch range, and the triangular flare of the horns near the bases. It is this sudden flaring that helps you distinguished billies from nannies at a distance. Watch the goat until it turns in your direction. Nanny horns look more like black pencils while a billies horns look more like giant rose thorns.

Its been my experience that whites are not necessary and that goats are more tolerant of approach from above than below. They are also not as spooky as sheep. Hunted sheep will go miles and miles whereas goats tend to go just far enough to be out of immediate danger. So if you blow a stalk, wait until you're out of sight and go up (if you can) or around. More than likely the goat settled down shortly after losing sight or smell of you.

I have no goat experience on Kodiak so I defer to TB if "Rock" goats behave differntly than mainlanders

Kodiak Goat 2006

Here is my Billy from Kodiak last season. Right at 9"

Attachments

• Dan's '06 GoatB1.JPG
    Dan's '06 GoatB1.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 641
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member