Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

CALI... We miss you !!!

Moosie

Grand poopa
Just thinking about what critters you have your scope dialed into right now........ Hope you're having fun in Africa bud !!!

My guess is he ends up taking more critters then he planned for :D

I hope he gets at least one good one and takes pictures and tells us the story to go with them. He must have made it there, he's not posting now?

I'm back - 36 hours of travel home. Let's see -

1 waterbuck
1 red hartebeest
1 wildebeest
2 impala
1 wart hog
1 kudu

I have to get some CD's to download, as my PC seems to be too full to take anymore.

Waterbuck with Jacob, the tracker/assistant and David Tennent, my PH.

100_5015.jpg

This is the only picture I have of my kudu on my digital camera - I have others on the memory stick in my video camera. Unfortunately, I wounded it in the shoulder and we had to track it for two miles. I did not have both my cameras with me on the track. I was disapointed with the lack of penetration from the 225 gr Nosler partition. It shed the front lead core very quickly and the back half did not seem to retain enough weight to penetrate enough. These are tough, muscular animals! I think a Triple Shock would have been a better choice.

Jacob did an absolutely amazing job of tracking this animal. How he could tell one set of kudu prints from another is beyond me, especially in sandy soil that did not provide clear prints.

100_5019.jpg

welcome back Cali.
congrats on the animals.

My wildebeest - this was the most exciting of the bunch! A big, tough critter that just might get PO'ed about being shot.... It looked like a good hit, but Dave wanted to wait a few minutes before following it up. When we did, we found it only went about 15 yards with a destroyed heart. Not huge by horn measurements, but nice bosses.

100_5060.jpg

great pics Cali.
what was the hunt like?
it looks like the photos are taken in the same area, pretty thick looking brush in the background...is that at a water-hole or what?

details man, details!
from the smile on your face it looks like you had a blast....congrats again.

Yeah I was told those are some tough animals over there. My dad started off hunting with his 375 ultra mag and ended up shooting his 416 blaser with a 400 grain remington A frame for the rest of his trip because the 375 was just not enough on the larger animals

Not all the same spot, but with the drought, waterholes were the most productive place to hunt. Most of the waterholes looked the same around the edges - sandy dirt surrounded by the same brush. The number of animals was amazing! No wonder they keep the dirt trampled around the water.

In some cases, we drug the animal out into the sandy areas for photos, as the brushy areas were so thick, the sahdows made for lousy pictures!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jjoner
Back