MT bear bites the dust

Bambistew

This bear hunting is just too easy. :D

P1010525.jpg

He's 6' give or take an inch. Guessing live weight estimated at about 300-325#. All I know is I've had all the bear hunting fun that I could have in 2 days. Last nights pack hide/head/hunting stuff was around 80#, today we hauled out 100-120# of meat on a game cart... so you bear experts, want to give me an estimate on weight?

I sure hope my luck holds out for a few more years. I left the truck at 5:00pm hiked about 3 miles up a long ridge looking across to where they should be and at about 7:30 I spotted him. I looked at him through the binos for about 10 seconds and started packing my stuff. Then I calmed down, and figured I better figure out where he was going to feed for the evening. I looked him over through the spotter, just to make myself more excited, saw that he had a huge head, big dropping gut, and a slick shinny coat shining in the sun. I pin pointed his grocery store, packed up and make a mad dash before the sun went down.

About 30 minutes later I was in position, but no bear. A couple elk had fed out in the clearing where I had last seen him. I thought, maybe they pushed him out or maybe he moved around the hill. I figured I would just wait and see what would happen. About 5 minuets of hoping and praying that I was going to find this guy, he moseyed out the trees. A quick check on the range finder, I saw that he was about 240 yards. I threw down the pack, for a perfect prone rest, lined up the 330-06 and sent a 200gr Accubond into both shoulders clipping the spine. He dropped at the shot but wasn't out, I sent one more in his direction and then he was out of view.

I got to him just as the sun set, snapped a few pictures and got to work. I had the meat hung, and the hide and head packed and was ready to head off the mountain at 11:00. It was a slow hike in the pitch black, across ankle rolling rocks, and steep azz side hills. made it home at 2:00 slepped about 3hrs, and got up to do it again ahhh what fun, then went back up today with a cart to get the meat. I think I've hade about all the bear hunting I want for this trip.

P1010520.jpg

P1010523.jpg

Nice bear Bambi. Nice melon. Looks like you got a little wet.

NNIIIICCCCCEEEEEE

Forgot to ask, how do you like the 200gr Accubond? I've considered using them on deer out of my 338 Winnie.

Thanks!

Not sure about the tree, I think it might just be bleached out from the sun.

Pointer. The bear is critter number 3 to die from the accubonds, wait critter number 4... I also shot a gopher to check my sight after the plane ride. They shoot great, and the end result has been the same each time. :D

Way to go Bambi !!! hump
I knew you would slay one fairly quickly, seems to be your M.O. ;)
Now you can kick back and do some fish'in!!!
I'll catch up w/ya when you get back!!!!!

Back