Caribou Gear

Opening weekend

AZ402

This past Friday was opening weekend here in AZ. My best friend and I drew tags and made our way North Thursday morning. Once we set up camp we headed out to our favorite areas and saw this guy right off the bat.

P1100403.jpg

Had the season started Thursday this bird would have been in big trouble. He was well within bow range, strutting for a long time.

We moved on to the next ridge and ran into four more toms and about six or seven hens. The two mature bird were having a strut-off.

P1100415.jpg

We watched them and made plans for this spot in the A.M. We saw about a dozen gobblers in two hours the day before the hunt. There was very little pressure in our area, so we figured it'd be a slam dunk opening morning.

I guess the turkeys had other plans and mum was the word for the next three days. I left after this mornings hunt with no bird. I just got off the phone with my buddy and he took one this evening, said they chose to go nuts this afternoon. I'll head back up with my bow in a couple weeks to try and seal the deal.

Here are a few of the locals taking a mid-day break.

P1100430.jpg

The North side of the San Francisco peaks this afternoon.

P1100460.jpg

Hopefully I'll have a few dead bird pics in the next few weeks.......

Back