A sheep for me, maybe...

the nikster

So, I have this friend who has about 40 sets of sheep horns. He has collected/documented them over many years from several units within Idaho. He finds them in the spring after they die. His collection includes 1 especially large ram.
We have hiked together many times and his stories have captured me.
I have seen rams while on elk hunts, but I see them in units which the state claims hold no sheep.
And so I have applied for a permit this year. Total Novice Here!
Yes, I know, my chances are slim, but...
I have done several remote hunts by myself including a couple of Alaskan adventures. My question is this/these:
Weight is critical so what type of sleeping bag/pad is suggested?
I usually just carry a tarp/fly for use as a "tent"-is the extra weight of an actual tent worth it?
What kind of stove? Fuel?
Which foods seem to work the best/are the tastiest?
I don't think my $60 Irish setters will work, any ideas less than $280!?
Should I take an extra pair of camp shoes?
I have a huge pair of binos with big glass, should I scale down?
I have an old beat-up tasco spotting scope, should I scale up?
I will probably invite my friend, if he can't make it, am I a fool to go it alone?
Boy-I sure am confident I'll draw!

Lot's of the Idaho sheep country you can day-hunt from a vehicle in relative comfort. If you're hankering for one of the few wilderness hunts, here are my opinions based on a few trips.

Q- Weight is critical so what type of sleeping bag/pad is suggested?
A- I like down. You can get a decent quality 2 pound bag rated for 20 degrees for not too much coin. I like the the 3/4 length 4 season rated pad. I put the pack under my legs.

Q. I usually just carry a tarp/fly for use as a "tent"-is the extra weight of an actual tent worth it?

A. Absolutely buy a decent quality tent. A lightweight (think aluminum pole) 3 season tent with full coverage fly and vestibule, that has been seam sealed will do. I've seen some crappo weather on my sheep hunts.

Q. What kind of stove? Fuel?
A. Lot's of good choices out there. I have an MSR rocket. One large fuel cannister will last me 7 days @ 1 burn/day.

Q. Which foods seem to work the best/are the tastiest?
A. Breakfast-Clif Bar, dehydrated bananas. Lunch-Clif Bar, Jerky, dehydrated fruit. Dinner 2 serving Mtn House meals.

Q. I don't think my $60 Irish setters will work, any ideas less than $280!?
A. Don't skimp $ here. I'd recommend Meindl Canadian or Alaskan hunters, or Lowa Sheep Hunters. Also get good quality socks, plan on $15-20 for a good pair of socks x 4.
Q. Should I take an extra pair of camp shoes?
A. Yes, a $3 pair of flip flops helps the feet dry out in camp.

Q. I have a huge pair of binos with big glass, should I scale down?
A. I think the ideal set up would be tripod mounted 16x binos. I've used my 10x50 binos, with my 20-45x63 spotter with good success. Buy the best you can afford.

Q. I have an old beat-up tasco spotting scope, should I scale up?
A. Absolutely. A lower end spotter is dead weight. You can get some decent spotters in the $600 range. The kids love using mine for star gazing during the summer. Do it for the kids....:)

Q. I will probably invite my friend, if he can't make it, am I a fool to go it alone?
A. It's best to go with an able bodied friend. Rent a sat phone and go solo if you need to. It's character defining.

Q. Boy-I sure am confident I'll draw!
A. Good luck.

Q. I usually just carry a tarp/fly for use as a "tent"-is the extra weight of an actual tent worth it?

A. Absolutely buy a decent quality tent. A lightweight (think aluminum pole) 3 season tent with full coverage fly and vestibule, that has been seam sealed will do. I've seen some crappo weather on my sheep hunts.

Or, you can buy a Kifaru tent with no floor and use Tyvec to sleep on ... ;)

I agree with everything that T-bone said above. Well, everything esceot the Spotter, take in the extra weight, you'll like it once you're in there. The only roblem is you'll see sheep that take 2 days to get too... huh T-bone !!! :D

On the friend, never go alone !!! You never know if a tick will find you or if you fall and get hurt. If you do do this.. (HEhehe I said dodo) then make sure you have the Sat. phone in your pocket the whole time. You should draw, everyone here at hunttalk does, It's a lucky place :D

T-Bone,

Thank-you for the time you spent answering my post.
I seems you have some knowlege in this area.
It does look like I will have to change some things a little, I have a good tent with fly that only weighs 3 lbs. I think if I draw(and even if I don't) I will need the boots sooner than later so that would be a quick purchase. Food can wait, does your meals you mentioned have alot of energy? I do need a new spotter as my old one is 12 years old and was never top of the line.
I have spent hours looking at rams and my question is this, Where do you think a person should set their limit? I have been to Alaska 2 times and never even fired at thousands of caribou because my expectations are so high. I do intend to hunt for at least 2 weeks in early to mid Oct-assuming I draw
How many hunts have you been on? how many rams have you seen harvested?
What do you know about this tent with no bottom......?
Thanks for your patience
Nick

Q- Where do you think a person should set their limit? I have been to Alaska 2 times and never even fired at thousands of caribou because my expectations are so high. I do intend to hunt for at least 2 weeks in early to mid Oct-assuming I draw.
A- Can't answer that for you. Prior to getting ill, I was holding for a mature ram. I came very close a number of times, but never got the shot I wanted. When I went in after the RMSF, I was happy to get a chance at any ram. It was a last ditch effort. My ram is a dink by any standard, but I like him.

Q- How many hunts have you been on?
In 2002 I went in twice. 2003 I helped Oscar get his ram. In 2006 I went in twice and killed my ram on the 2nd trip.

Q- how many rams have you seen harvested?
A- 2. Oscar's and mine.

Q-What do you know about this tent with no bottom......?
A-mine is a Kifaru para-tipi. bomb proof shelter, with a wood burning stove. I feel much more comfy facing severe weather with that. They're pricey, but it should be last a long time.

T-Bone- Do you usually pack the stove with you? Is it that big of a hassle to set up? I've been intrigued by the idea of a portable/heatable shelter for some time, but just haven't gotten over some hangups I have with them. That and they don't give them away. Still, the logic behind them does make sense.

T-Bone,
I went online to Bakers shoes and clothing company and found the sheephunters for a total of $260.35!! They should be here by the end of the week-then I can incorporate them into my pre-hunt exercise regimen.
I also stopped by Cabelas in WV today to compare stoves and sleeping bags.
I found a down bag rated to +20 that only weighs 2lbs 9 oz. Buy it?
About the stoves, is yours a pocket rocket? I was comparing everything they had for price, weight, btu's per, and cost. Pocket rocket won in all categories. But will it last....I don't know.
My research leads me to believe I will have to pack in between 8 and 14 miles actual distance. I have done this in the past with a 50+lb pack. I find that as a GENERAL rule, climbing in elevation is easier done if one stickes to the valley and canyon bottoms. Has anyone else noticed this? Do you think it is realistic to assume a 50 lb or lighter pack when full(including rifle)? Am I crazy to think I can move 10 miles a day in central Idaho? My previous experience with 50+ lb pack was in the pahsimmeroi(sp) mts.
Thanks, Nick

Pointer,

If I'm packing in for extended stay or in cold weather, I carry the wood stove with. It's a 5 min setup and takedown. It's a real bonus when arriving to the tent wet and cold. Get in, fire it up, hang the wet clothes on the drying line. Nice and toasty and dry within minutes. The bad part is that a cherry red stove melts sleeping bag material instantly.....

Mr Clegg,

Q- I found a down bag rated to +20 that only weighs 2lbs 9 oz. Buy it?
A- Did you consider the down rating? The 700 and higher numbers insulate better for the weight/volume. If you like it, buy it. I wish my pad had the little hooks that attach to the bag. Nothing like worming around in the night trying to stay on the pad.

Q-About the stoves, is yours a pocket rocket? I was comparing everything they had for price, weight, btu's per, and cost. Pocket rocket won in all categories. But will it last....I don't know.
A- Yea I have the pocket rocket. Mine is going on 5 years. Not even a hiccup.

Q- My research leads me to believe I will have to pack in between 8 and 14 miles actual distance. I have done this in the past with a 50+lb pack. I find that as a GENERAL rule, climbing in elevation is easier done if one stickes to the valley and canyon bottoms. Has anyone else noticed this?
A- Interesting, never really thought about it before, but when off trail going from point a-b I usually stick to the ridges.

Q- Do you think it is realistic to assume a 50 lb or lighter pack when full(including rifle)?
A- Depends on the number of days. I'd guess you could do 7 days @ 60 pounds with rifle.

Q- Am I crazy to think I can move 10 miles a day in central Idaho? My previous experience with 50+ lb pack was in the pahsimmeroi(sp) mts.
A- 10 miles on trail is gravy. Off trail is completely dependent on the terrain.

You related to any Cleggs from Nampa Idaho?

T-bone- Thanks for the info and I agree that the stove makes much more sense for cold weather or longer trips. I would have LOVED one last Nov in the White Clouds. After packing a goat for 7.5hrs a heated tent would have been the meow!

Got my boots, man are they ugly!!!
But man do they feel different! I'll have to take them for a couple of hikes then decide if it was all worth it.

Wow!
Has it really been 4 years? Lotta water under that there bridge.
I have upgraded all my equipment so I am more inline with the guru set. I still wear the sheephunters and love, love, love them!
It's obvious I did not draw then but I have applied again this year.
Truly, the anticipation is well worth the $6 or $7 dollars for the draw.

Sounded like really good advice and only one other thing I would of thrown in is trekking poles. I thought they were gay at first but man they are a leg saver when your packing a big pack on uneven terrain.

Yep, I don't go anywhere without a set. I can really tell a difference on downhills with a heavy pack. It's a lot easier on my knees.

This sounds kind of stupid, but do you have any tips or tricks on actually using trekker poles? Any tips on adjusting the height or anything like that?

I bought a set from Cabelas on sale, but haven't used them yet. I'll be using them this weekend in some STEEP terrain shed hunting.

Not sure of the correct setting i think mine are a so that my elbows are slightly less than a 90 angle. They are easily adjusted so experiment.

What he said. There's no right or wrong, just whatever feels best for you. However, I do take the time to make them longer when going down steep grades. I want them long enough that I don't have to bend over to plant them. I have some twist locks, but my next pair will have flip locks as I think they are easier/faster to adjust.

PS- Don't let a mule step on them, it makes them much impossible to collapse. Also, if you let someone borrow them, make sure they don't run over them with a truck! :D Don't ask how I know... ;)

sheep dreams......hopefully I'll get the chance to hunt them soon.

Best of luck to all in the draws.

There is a ram out there waiting.

picture.php

Last edited:
1_p, sounds terrible.

What's your mailing address? :eek:
No worries. It was good for a laugh. My oldest now uses it for a everything from a sword to a gun to a fishing pole! So, it is still serving quite the purpose.

How's the young'un doing?

Back