Antelope - How big right now?

IdahoBugler

We'll I went out exploring some old stomping grounds and I might of found an old friend that I thought was gone. The buck I nick-named Captain hook. He had cool sweeping forward horns and diggers that pointed outward.

This is him 2 years ago.
IMGA0087.jpg

Another pic of him 2 years ago.
IMGA0093.jpg

I looked for him last year and couldn't turn him up. I thought he was dead. But just this last week I think I saw him or one of his off-springs with the same characteristics.

My question is how big are they right now? How much more growing do they have. If I was to guess he was about 11-12" with great diggers already. I kind of looked at him as a small buck with the same characteristics and then started thinking that maybe he's just starting his new set.

Let me know what you guys know about antelope horn growth. If it is him, my August just got real busy. Hopefully he added some mass to his frame and he should be a good one this year.

They are likely grown 100 % on prong and above, still pushing up below the prong and could grow a couple of inches below the prong in length. By June they are almost completely grown, 99% of the way, but technically they continue to grow until they shed in November.

I suspect that Greenhorn is correct. One thing he forgot to mention is that in the five minutes it takes me to walk up to the one I shot, they shed two inches of length, an inch of mass, and the prong has receeded into the horn by at least one to two inches.

Not sure how it happens, but I have three 76-78 inch bucks that were 80+ just minutes before I pulled the trigger that shed many inches in the time it took for me to walk up to them.

So yeah, they are probably done growing by July, but they are not done shrinking until I get up to them.

That pic wouldn't happen to be taken about 1hr from Boise would it??
I had a buck that looked just like that one less then 10 yards from my blind but he would not stop walking. I still have dreams of that buck. I prefer trash over score any day! I heard that the one I saw was shot on the last day of archery season, but was hit in the hind quarter and never found ?? Gosh I hope that's him!!! Feel free to PM me !!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back