Caribou Gear

Cameras on Ebay

guppie9

OK, so I got the go ahead to pick out a nice digital camera and I am pretty set on the Canon Digital Rebel XTi. My question is, can I really trust these guys on Ebay?? I have bought well over 100 things off of Ebay, but nothing over about $150. I am a little leary about handing over a grand for a camera package on Ebay. Has anybody had any experience with any of the dealers on there? Or, does anyone know of a reliable online dealer that will still give me a good price?? Thanks in advance.

You should be fine so long as the seller has substantial positive feedback. We bought a camera from cameraland I believe on eBay a few years back. Most of the camera places have tens of thousands of feedback and are pretty reputable. We had no problems.

I even paid an extra $80 for an extended warranty, and sure enough, two years after I bought the camera it crapped out, took a little bit of arguing, but the camera got repaired.

Also, over on the MM site, there's a guy with the sign name gr8fuldoug, he's at cermeralandny. He usually has some great deals, just got my spotting scope from him and everything went smoothly.

Good Luck.

Guieseppe,

Don't you have Costco and Sam's Club up that way? No way would I fork over a $1000 to some guy on ebay, when you can get it from a reputable retailier, much closer, or from their websites.

Here is the Xti for $800.
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11204649&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&N=4001462&Mo=6&pos=2&No=2&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=1236&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&Sp=C&ec=&topnav=

And they also have the XT for $600 on the website, which is a great camera and allows you to spend more on Lenses, the most important part.

Also, be wary of the "Kits" that are sold on Ebay with the camera, as most of the stuff is overpriced and not of the quality you want. You can buy your own camera bag, your own Flash Card, and your own tri-pod.

Here is the pricing at CameralandNY....
Body Only Price: $779.99
Silver Rebel XTi (Body Only)Black Rebel XTi (Body Only)
With 18-55 Lens Price: $879.99
Silver Rebel XTi w/LensBlack Rebel XTi w/Lens
Deluxe Kit Price: $979.99
* Deluxe kit includes XTi, 18-55 lens, 1 gig card, digital UV filter, case, card reader, cleaning kit, & full size tripod.
Silver XTi Deluxe KitBlack XTi Deluxe Kit

It looks like they are $80 more than Costco for the XTi w/Lens (18-55mm)...

Guppie
get one local, trust me its a far better situation. nothing wrong with the ebay guys.

Look at it this way you buy it its broke or breaks you can get it done locally with no headach, you buy one locally you can also get a 3 year warrenty on it as well.
those things are almost a grand and yes you will have to pay a tax. but for that kinda money at least you can kick the guys ass at the store if you have problems and they dont fix it.

sure you don't get all the toys like what you can get on ebay but you get a piece of mind if something breaks.

Also just buy the lens as you need them, I got mine local and it was the smartest thing I ever did, cause I have enough problems as it is anyhow and I dont need anymore.

I got the cannon 10+ meg pixel tooo and i love it
Jose and moosie talked me into the cannon
Delw

Gup- I bought my "cheaper" camera on ebay...Fuji 5000...awhile back without any probs. As others have said- make sure to look at current feedback, also make sure its not a refurbished mod, and also make sure it has the proper warranty for the US. I think I only spent (including kit extras) about $350 though, a grand might make me think differently.

Don't they post what kind of waurantee and return policy they have. If its not good, its not good. If its a good waurantee and return policy, then you're in good shape right. You must have been screwed a few times with 150 eBay purchases, were you? I didn't pay attention to that waurantee info. and got burned once.

I bought a used electric drill that was advertised as "Works great." but had no return waurantee, if you read the small print. It threw sparks when it got here, not good. I complained and some other people got in touch with me to help shut that guy down who was selling that stuff.

Bump:

Well, my camera is on its way and I should have it on Tuesday. I got the Canon Digital XTI. It comes with a 18-55 lens and I also ordered a 75-300 telephoto lens. I also got a 2mb card and a nice backpack to put it in. I'm looking at some different filters now. I am totally psyched and can't wait to get some pics with it. BTW, I ended up getting it from the PX as my wife is still in the reserves. I got all of the above for $1100. This constitutes my father's day/anniversary(Jun 24)/birthday(Sep 18) gifts wrapped up in one!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back