Antelope in August (Newbie)

Spitz

So, I'm looking forward to my first antelope hunt this August when it opens here in Montana. I'm anxious to try it first with the bow, if unsuccesful, I'll take one with the trusty .300.

So, I've read up a bit on approaching these things, putting your decoy up and hoping one comes in. I'm sure I'll learn as I go, but about what time does the rut get going? The early season hunts I've seen on hunting shows seem to have the guys in a blind on a waterhole. I'll try either, but the decoy thing sounds more fun.

It opens the first Saturday in September for archery if you draw a regular unit anyweapon licence. If you apply for the statewide "archery only" 900 tag, you can start hunting in mid-August, but you will not be able to use a rifle at all anywhere.

Rut peaks in mid to late September, decoy is best then, but you can see them rutting around some most of the season until people start shooting rifles in October.

If you are planning to hunt them with a rifle you will need to first draw a tag. Pick a unit and apply. Region 7 has the best odds. If you want to hunt with a bow and want a guaranteed tag then apply for a 900 tag (good state wide). You cannot hunt with a rifle on a 900 tag.

June 1st is the deadline. good luck.

Nmeont

I probably should have refreshed my memory with the regs before asking the question. |oo Anyway, I appreciate the info.

Looking at a unit 7 hunt, draw odds are good, and I've got a place to stay and hunt. A couple of buddies may be coming out,

anyone know when the non-res draw is posted?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tracker boat
Back