Yeti GOBOX Collection

New gun works

mtmiller

Well I purchased a Kimber Montana 7wsm just before Christmas. It took a couple weeks to show up and I picked it up last week when I was in Bozeman. Yesterday it was cold as hell, but I threw a cheapo scope on it and hit the range. One shot at 25 to paper, anther at 100 meters, then a quick 3 shot group. Good enough, it is hitting good enough for me at this point and I am sick of putting up with the weather to punch paper.

This morning I put the sixth bullet down the tube. Nice double lung lights out cow.
P1040300Large.jpg

There were about 50 in the herd and at the shot, they took off, but didn't exactly know what was going on. Another one stepped into a clearing and #7 left the gun with the same results. One went 100 yards and the other about 200.

Loading wasn't too fun solo, but got it done. Axl lost his house, so had to ride up front.:D
P1040305Large.JPG

Not a bad day...two elk on the ground (actually 4, but 2 were really small;) ) and back home by 10:30.

I am really liking the gun so far. Bears next.:D

Now that's the way to christen a new rifle. Good work Craig...hope you saved a few dollars for a freezer.

NICE!!! How far did you have to drag 'em? Glad to hear is working great for ya! How's the recoil? Since you haven't mentioned it yet, I'd guess not too bad since you're a puzz!

mtmiller,
How many Elk can you guys kill up there? Seasons into Feb?, 4 Elk killed? all yours?

Man that's some good shooting there.
Congrats.

Nice shooting Craig! Now that the fun is over, looks like you got quite a bit of work to do.

Congratulations. How'd ya get them in the truck? Brute strength or ingenuity?
I have decent sled that is pretty rigid. I parked in the ditch to get the tailgate as close to the ground as I could, lift the front part of the sled onto the tail gait, backed up a little and then blew a nut lifting up the sled and sliding it in. The second one I was a puzz and removed the hind quarters before using the same method.
Now that's the way to christen a new rifle. Good work Craig...hope you saved a few dollars for a freezer.
Just got done giving one of them away to a friend. It was a good trade as I got to use his heated garage to cut mine up.:D Still some room in the freezer, but I think I will pass on the two doe tags I still have in my pocket.:D
NICE!!! How far did you have to drag 'em? Glad to hear is working great for ya! How's the recoil? Since you haven't mentioned it yet, I'd guess not too bad since you're a puzz!
One about 300 yards and the other, maybe 75. The sled and snow made it pretty easy. Well, until the loading time.
Nicely done! Did Axl retrieve them?
I wish. The lazy bastard just played in the snow while I did the work. He was good at picking out pheasants from the front seat as we rolled home.:D
mtmiller,
How many Elk can you guys kill up there? Seasons into Feb?, 4 Elk killed? all yours?
Man that's some good shooting there.
Congrats.
These were on an extended season due to teh herd being above objectives. I only had one tag, but was allowed to purchase a second. Wasn't planning on it, but my friend asked for an elk if I could find an extra. It worked out getting the second. As for the other two elk, they were still in their mommas. I have pics, but don't want to offend.;)

"These were on an extended season due to teh herd being above objectives. I only had one tag, but was allowed to purchase a second. Wasn't planning on it, but my friend asked for an elk if I could find an extra. It worked out getting the second. As for the other two elk, they were still in their mommas. I have pics, but don't want to offend."

Gotcha.

pretty sweet Craig. How far were the shots? What did axe think of those big things?

MTM, I've heard nothing but good things about Kimbers -they produce a fine rifle. Your back must still be in decent shape to grunt those babies into the pickup bed... and how you positioned the truck was a smart move.
The 120lb coastal blacktail I shot last year wasn't too easy to load because the dang tailgate on my truck seemed like it was 4 feet up there.
Congrats on the elk. I think you'll have enough steaks. I get my first chance at a branched bull later this year. Dave

I used Federal 150 noslers

Just finished some tenderlions fried up in olive oil with some brown rice and brocolli. Yummy.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back