Caribou Gear Tarp

Bighorn capture

mtmiller

I was planning on hunting a cow elk this morning, but many of the private lands already had folks, so I decided to join in on a sheep capture instead.

Enjoyed a nice sunrise while listening to Stern on the way to the location.:D
P1010827-1Large.jpg

First guy to hit the ground. Unfortunately, the chopper was finding lots of rams and not so many ewes first thing this morning. Another ram, about the same size, came in on the next load as well.
P1010832-1Large.jpg

In-coming.
P1010854-1Large.jpg

Always big fun reloading the nets.;)
P1010841-1Large.jpg

New jewelry for this girl (all were collared as well).
P1010837-1Large.jpg

Open up and say ahhhhh.
P1010884-1Large.jpg

Did I mention there was plenty of help.:rolleyes:
P1010868-1Large.jpg

Due the amount of folks on hand, I headed home early. Snow and visiblity may have cut things short today, but the plan is to hit it again tomorrow. I think I will go hunting instead.:D

Great pics Craig. That little ram reminds me of mine....

I didn't expect big game seasons to still be open. Good luck on the cow.

Great pics Craig. That little ram reminds me of mine....

I didn't expect big game seasons to still be open. Good luck on the cow.

They aged him at 2.5.

The elk permit (cow only) is for game damage. It is good until mid-Feb. I am not looking for a hunt, just meat if it is close to the road.:D Also have a couple whitey doe tags for NeMonts part of the country, but freezer is pretty tight right now anyway. Maybe if I pull a few capes out, I can make some additional room for food.:D

Girl in the 2nd pic working the ram would make a fine wife for you...if going off looks alone.

Yeh, she was OK. Probably a little young and watching her collect fecal samples kinda scared me.:D

Cool pics, Craig. There is never any shortage of help on a bighorn capture/release.

Girl in the 2nd pic working the ram would make a fine wife for you...if going off looks alone.
Until she met him! Then he'd be needing the net gun... :D

Looks like a pretty fun day. The capture I helped with used a set net and lots of hay.

That's it, I'm buying stock in Carhart....

Nice photos mtmiller. I've been hoping to get in on one of the projects in AZ with the sheep. Just something on my list to do to see how those projects work and lend a hand if I can.

cmc

Miller, i knew you wouldnt go Elk hunting. There is no fricking way that you pick hunting over spending time with sedated, blindfolded, and tied up sheep hump

Looks like a pretty fun day. The capture I helped with used a set net and lots of hay.
Tyler, did you volunteer or did you have to go through an auction process to participate?:D I am assuming you were in Utah.:D

Schmalt's...that was a pretty good one. Well done.:D

I didn't volunteer. It was a trade, I got to help catch sheep in exchange for free-for-all grazing by that landowner. I'm happy with the deal...

Nice pics. Were you just tagging/collaring for study or was there any transplanting involved?
No MT research. I really wasn't involved much, more or less a bystandard. These sheep went to Nebraska and North Dakota.

Hey Miller you got any knowledge as to why they never try and transplant back down around Lewis and Clark caverns once apon a time we had sheep down there but they have never tried planting them back in that country.

Donkey,

That area has been talked about for a transplant but always comes up short. Too much private land and not enough sheep habitat for a viable herd from what I understand. The Bridgers have also been talked about, but a transplant looks unlikely there as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back