Thanksgiving Dinner

Gunner46

Hey Y'all

Just found out I'm the man to do all the cooking for Thanksgiving, and I do mean ALLL the cooking. At least I got a couple of weeks notice.

Help me out here.

At least 4, maybe up to 7.

A combo of Christian and Jewish guest. Don't want to get anything wrong.

Any ideas/ recipes?

A whole Turkey is a Mandate. How about the extra's?

I didn't know thanksgiving was a 'religious' holiday? ;)

Cook what you like, you're the host, they're the guests... They better eat it and smile while doing so. :D

My favorite trick Gunner. A real time saver. Take the cranberry sauce from the can and mush it up (so it doesn't look like the shape of the can :rolleyes: ). Garnish with a few mandarin orange slices (from a can) around the top edge. :D Plus the mandarins go well with the cranberry. If no one is allergic to nuts, a tablespoon of crushed walnuts or almonds sprinkled on top really jazzes it up.

Whole thing looks more like homemade.

Get the Durkee canned onion rings and make the green bean casserole. Basically, a couple cans of green beans, a can of cream of mushroom or cream of celery soup, top with the onions adn bake until hot.

Take 2 boxes of Corn Bread mix, add the required number of eggs per the instructions, add a can of creamed corn and a cup of sour cream. Mix well and pour into a buttered baking dish and bake at 350 until the top just starts to turn brown. Comes out a lot like the corn cake you get at El Torito.

You want to play that, take it to Current Affairs. :rolleyes: Leave it out of the cooking forum. You want to blame someone for being too sensitive, blame me. I make a good whipping boy.

Oh yeah. and flip the turkey upside down for the last 30-60 minutes cooking time. Makes it nice and juicy. :)

look, there wasnt a problem until Oprah chimed in.

i did give a good tip on what to make.....why did you delete that?

You want to blame someone for being too sensitive, blame me.

i dont think you are as sensitive as Oprah.
i hope your turkey doesn't turn out as bland as your sense of humor. :D

Celebrate the All-American fress festival with Jewish flair, by stuffing your kosher Thanksgiving turkey with challah!

INGREDIENTS:
Turkey:
1 10-12 pound turkey
2 large onions, sliced
2 stalks celery, sliced
1 cup water
1/2 tsp salt
Stuffing:
4 cups cubed challah
1/4 cup oil or margarine
2 stalks celery, finely diced
1 onion, finely diced
1 cup canned mushrooms, drained and finely diced
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp. salt, 1/8 tsp. pepper
Basting:
3/4 cup oil
1 Tbsp. paprika
salt and pepper to taste

PREPARATION:
Turkey:
1. Buy a turkey large enough for family and friends - at least a pound for each person. Then add a few extra pounds for leftovers.
2. A frozen turkey will take 24 hours to defrost for every five pounds.
Defrost in the refrigerator; Never thaw a turkey at room temperature. A 20-pound turkey will take 4 days to defrost.
3. Rinse turkey and pat dry.
4. Place sliced onions and celery on bottom of roasting pan. Add water and salt, then place a rack over vegetables.

Stuffing:
1. Soak challah in hot water until soft, squeeze out water.
2. Heat margarine in skillet. Saute vegetables for about 5 minutes.
3. Mix challah and vegetables. Add beaten eggs and spices. Mix well.
4. Stuff into turkey. Bake extra stuffing in greased dish along with turkey, basting with drippings.

Cooking and Basting:
1. Place turkey, breast side up, on rack in roasting pan.
2. Place in a preheated 325 degrees Fahrenheit oven.
3. Baste with the oil and spice mixture to ensure the turkey will be evenly browned.
4. When the skin is a light golden color and the turkey is about two-thirds done, shield the breast loosely with a tent of lightweight foil to prevent overcooking of the breast.
5. Cook until juices run clear. The turkey is done when 180 degrees Fahrenheit is reached in the thigh, 160 degrees Fahrenheit in the breast, or 165 degrees Fahrenheit in the center of the stuffing. Some recommend cooking 15-20 minutes a pound (less if the turkey is unstuffed and more if it is stuffed), but using a meat thermometer is the best method for knowing how long to cook the turkey.
6. Let the turkey stand 20 minutes before carving.

dont forget the Manochevitz.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back