Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

A little scouting

powderburn

Took a little day trip to do some scouting and shooting if the need arose. We were climbing well before sunrise so we could get a good look at the day starting from as high as we could go. As it got lighter we spotted several moose and quite a few whitetail across on the next ridge. Within an hour we had a small group of about 20 elk cross a small opening a 1/4 mile away on our side of the valley. We made a move to get down even with them tie the horses up and still hunt into the stand of timber. We had the wind in our favour and were about 400 yrds from where they entered the timber when all the elk boiled out the other side of the trees. Having not seen another hunter on the ridge had us wondering what we did wrong. As we moved closer we found out it was a grizzly that had followed them into the trees. Never saw that grizzly but his tracks told us he was there. We're going back up on the 27th/28th and taking my oldest son along.
brian8.jpg

elk.jpg

brian7.jpg

brian.jpg

brian2.jpg

grizzly.jpg

powderburn, I see your from lethbridge, do you know any Payne's? My buddy is a dentist there, ironiclly enough his title is Dr. Payne.

Turbo thats funny that you'd spot that. I have 2 generations of Payne handy work on my teeth. Dr. Senior has been my Dentist since 1980 and Junior Payne for the last year. I would go see Senior Payne and after he would give me the freezing we would tour the employee lounge and he would show me his latest bird mounts. I'm going back to Junior Payne on Dec,03. I put my appointment off until after hunting season.

Another trip to see what we could see. We got up high before sunrise and just as it was getting light the wind started blowing so hard it was just a constant roar. The only thing that saved us was we were on the sheltered side of the ridge. We only spotted 4 cow elk all day, everything with a brain a little larger than ours was stuck deep in the timber.About noon we headed down to the river and try to push some of the river bottom for whitetail. At the end of one of my pushes I arrived at the stand location to find the shooters asleep. No shots fired but a great day out as usual.
morning-2.jpg

brett2.jpg

castleriver7.jpg

castleriver5.jpg

brian7-1.jpg

Powder, it truely is a small world. Tell the Junior Payne I said hi. My real name is Tyson. We were just up there visiting them this summer, beautiful place Lethbridge is. They gave us a tour of Waterton Park, had a great time, even saw a few Bears close up. Maybe when Hillary gets elected I'll move up there.:)

We've been going from snow to tee-shirts and back 2 snow every couple days. Here are a couple more of the Castle river which were taken 3 days after the pictures of us watering the horses.
castleriver8.jpg

castleriver9.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back