Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Akbound sheep hunt......

HONDO

Akbound came back from his sheep hunt on friday. After five days of not seeing a single sheep he changed locations and found a group that had thirteen rams in it. He was able to put on a good stalk, and take this ram, the largest of the group. If he has time between now and moving to Anchorage he'll post the story.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 500
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 499
Man, that's a good looking ram. Hopefully he will chime in and give us the details of the hunt. Congrats to him for harvesting an exceptional animal. I think the smile on his face shows how excited he is!

Ovis said:
What state?

I'll go so far as to ask what unit? :) Heck, its a once in a lifetime hunt so it doesn't matter really.

That area looks heavily wooded. I've seen pictures of guys that hunt the wooded areas for Rams and those are tough hunts. One unit in Idaho has 12 Tags available in it but is like that wooded area. Not many people take a ram from it.

Kudos on the hunt, He's a Dandy !!!

Unit 26 has 2 permits. Success is hit and miss. '05 had 0% kills, '04 had 100% and '03 had 0%....... I would have bet the 27-1 permit but It's close in Toughness of tree hunting I would guess .... Congrats again on a good ram !!!!

Moosie, the guy who drew the second tag took a small ram. The way I heard it was that his wife had given birth the day before the season opened. She was two months early. So he flew in and killed the first legal ram he saw so he could get back to his wife and newborn.

HONDO this is in reply to your posting above. You better know your details before you go talking about someone that you know nothing about. If you know anything about Sheep a broomed off 6 year old ram is not small. If you would have talked to Randy you would have gotten the whole story! See below posting for the rest of the story!

Attachments

• Big.jpg
    Big.jpg
    466.7 KB · Views: 203
  • Big2.jpg
    Big2.jpg
    462.7 KB · Views: 202
Above is the other Ram taken in the Unit.

Hondo here is a part of the real story for your information.

This year’s adventure started back in April when, like just about every year, I applied for a bighorn sheep tag in my home state of Idaho. My wife, LeAnna and I were expecting our first child, so I wanted a late season permit. The baby was to arrive in September, so. I figured, I would have a little bit more time to hunt in the late season. Thank God, I have an understanding wife.
The end of May 2006, however, was one of the worst times of my life. The euphoria I felt at drawing my bighorn sheep tag, vanished. My pregnant wife started to have complications. Her blood pressure was too high, dangerously high, so on May 31st, she was admitted to the hospital. LeAnna, endured a battery of tests.
After several hours, stern-faced doctors determined that LeAnna had HELLP syndrome (H = hemolytic anemia, EL = elevated liver enzymes, LP = low platelet count) a potentially life threatening condition. Her only hope was to have our child right then. Our baby would be 3 months premature.
So on June 1, only a couple of weeks after I had drawn my tag and startled my co-workers, hunting was the farthest thing from my mind. I was completely focused on my one pound nine ounce son, Keegan. He had been born, in surgery, at 6:00p.m. Before I ever had a chance to hold him, my tiny son was rushed directly into the St. Alphonsus Regional Medical Center’s excellent Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU). His first couple days of life were very rocky to say the least. He had heart surgery when he was just 3 days old. The doctors told us to be happy every hour that he was alive. So we counted Keegan’s young life in just moments. If all went well, he would be in the NICU for 90 to 120 days. It was going to be a long road for my wife and I.
Leanna, spent more than two weeks in the hospital and some of that time in the intensive care unit, before she was released and ordered to stay in bed. Still the hunt was out of mind.
Over the next three months, I spent hours and hours a day at St. Alphonsus, sometimes just watching Keegan, sometimes just praying that he would live until morning.
Sheep hunting was forgotten.
Thank God, after a month and a half in the NICU the doctors were encouraged. Keegan’s progress had been good. He was getting bigger and stronger everyday. I started to look forward to when he would come home. I started to have hope again.
Keegan finally came home on September 7th after 98 days in the NICU, and with my son safe at home and finally doing well. I remembered my hunt. I would have skipped it but LeAnna thought it was best for me to go.

Congrats on the ram and hope your son is doing fine.Feel free to post pictures of either.

Cornfed Thanks! Here is a picture of my son. He is not out of the dark just yet.

Thanks

3/4 Slam Ram

Attachments

• Keegan.jpg
    Keegan.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 191
Back