Yeti GOBOX Collection

MN Moose Success

MNHunter

Hey Guys,
I posted a while back about drawing a rare moose tag here in MN. Well, the weather didn't cooperate (way too warm), the rut was not going well, I didn't see many moose but I was fortunate to take a bull. It is not the biggest bull but I am happy none the less. My once in a lifetime MN tag was filled Oct 5th. I didn't score him yet and his rack lacks palmation but the spread was 32 inches. Me and my buddy quartered him and carried him out on our backs. Moose quarters are not light! :D

Attachments

• DSC02122A.JPG
    DSC02122A.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 232
Congrat on the bull and all the associated good eats. I am guessing your buddy will be expecting some.:D

Excellent! I saw a few of those big old beasts last week while elk hunting and can't imagine packing one out. Congrats!

Congrats on the bull. Looks like he fell right next to an ATV trail?

MNHunter, congrats on the bull. Where did you get him, couldn't have been too far from my house. Way to go! I've been waiting the better part of 18 years for one of those tags.....

Thanks guys.

Oak, it was a logging trail. We tried the ATV but it was simply too steep and too many logs on the trail to navigate around for an ATV novice like myself.

Zamboniman, I shot him down by Cloquet Lake and Katherine Lake where they were doing some recent logging. Where abouts do you live? I stayed in Isabella but was on every road and grade from there to Two Harbors.

Congrats on your moose. I wish I could have another tag for Idaho. I would do that again in a heart beat.

MNHunter, I live in Silver Bay and I know all of those old roads and old logging roads up that way very well. I take my 10 year old out on alot of those roads grouse hunting. Stayed in Isabella?? Where at the Hilton or Holiday Inn? Only you and I will know the joke about that. Too bad I didn't know about you having that tag, I could have been your guide. Did you run into the hermit/amish/mennonite family that lives there by Cloquet Lake, or see any of their horses running around wildly? Rumor has it some clowns from the Cities had a little too much hooch the night before season and shot one of their horses at night and mistook it for a cow moose, they even gutted the damn thing, but figured it out and left the horse on the side of the old logging road.. Hope you had your shotgun with you up here with all the birds around this year, my little guy got his first three this week with Grandpa, no camera of course... Congratulations again on the moose, if you're ever up this way again look me up...

Wow, small world. I stayed at the Hilton ;-) They had a little trouble with a fire a couple weeks ago. I didn't run into the family you are talking about but I passed their driveway each time I went into my spot. I did hear about the horse being shot, I took a picture of the sign they put up stating not to shoot the horses! We had our fill of grouse up there too, they were as thick as rats! BTW, I took my moose to Zupps there in Silver Bay, I'll be up to get it in a couple weeks. Good luck on drawing the moose tag for yourself, it was definitely a great hunt.

I've been to Isabella before...I would have stayed at the Howard Johnsons! My brother and I left our canoe wrapped around a rock on the Baptism River many years ago. Stupid, stupid, stupid! WTG on the Moose MN. He'll eat good.

The boys at Zup's will take good care of you, might be a little on the spendy side, but where isn't. I have alot of my venison made there into the smoked sticks, they are the best on the planet. And I bring all of my lake trout there to have smoked, only $2 per fish, for that price it's not even worth my effort to attempt to do it myself. Give me a heads up when you come back up here, if it's my day off I can take out for a beer or pop and meet.

BHR, I think there is probably more than a few canoes in the bottom of the Baptism, I know for sure there used to be a few bodies. (Drowning victims). The Baptism was thick with the little humpies this fall and everybody and their brother was down there snagging them, except for me, no spare time..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back