The Pronghorn Win

AZ402

Well the archery Pronghorn hunt I had in AZ kicked my butt:eek: . After spending a bunch of time on one particular buck, I moved on to some others. I found two real nice bucks this past weekend that I hadn't seen before. Needless to say they were just as tough to get to as the buck redline410 and myself had been after the week before.

A little bad luck and a few bad decisions and a couple crafty bucks; makes for a tough P&Y lope hunt...........................:eek: :(

Sorry about your luck AZ, but apparently you got to spend lots of time in the field. Best of luck with the next critter in your sights.

Those critters will definitely humble you. I ducked out of work early Friday and was prepared to make my way up the hill to help you out (or at least be there for moral support) only to find that there was a 40mile back up on the 17 north. The combination of archery deer and the long weekend was too much for me to bear so returned to the castle, locked the doors, shut the blinds and hid from the insanity. You can still live on the fact that you whacked a great goat last year big dawg. Sunday I headed to 24B to do a little early scouting for the white tail hunts and found the skull to a muley I hadn't seen in a few years. Since I lost him I had assumed he'd died from lead poisoning but from the looks of things, I'm 90% he was kitty kibble...I'll post pictures later.........

That happens, especially with archery. The elk beat me up and I ran out of beer in camp... so... I'm heading east to look for an orange, white, and black goat or two.. Body count so far is ZERO, but the donkey punchers will pull through.

You're not the first, and won't be the last to get their butt kicked by chasing lopes with a bow.

redline410 said:
only to find that there was a 40mile back up on the 17 north.

Hwy 87 going north wasn't much better. It was backed up from the light at the southern end of town in Payson to the Roosevelt Turn-off. Took over 3 hours to get from Fountain Hills to Payson|oo

Well ya got to spend days in the field chasing smart animals with archery gear.
Sound like fun to me.

A-con I had a great time for sure. I had a ton of goofy things happen this weekend ( keys locked in vehicle, lost an evening of hunting from that. Left my release somewhere in Pronghorn country while I sat down for a glassing session etc.....)

Can any of you bird watchers tell me what this bad boy is? It's snozz reminds of sneakims power arm....

lopehunt011.jpg

Donkey punching will continue in a few short weeks............

AZ402 said:
I had a ton of goofy things happen this weekend ( keys locked in vehicle, lost on evening of hunting from that. Left my release somewhere in Pronghorn country while I sat down for a glassing session etc.....)

I'll bet my day today would top your weekend.:rolleyes: |oo Good luck with the muley tag!

Your birdy is a long-billed curlew.

Thanks for the info Oak, pretty crazy looking bird. I have a feeling a good goat is going down this weekend. I'll post pics if my buddy gets the one he has been watching..

Stan, they didn't entirely beat our team though. This one died in Montana recently. After missing 2 larger ones, I figured this one would do. Missed this one too, but made it count on the next day. Nice buck, a little weak on prong, but good enough otherwise. :D

Way to skylight the horns to make them look bigger! ;) Congrats on a nice buck. I'm only punching doe tags this year...

He was a unicorn

Check this out.. I've taken a few bucks that have had small horns growing behind the main horns, like 1" long. This one had a horn starting out of the middle of his head.

He chased another buck behind a reseivoir wall and stood there for a while. I did a 200 yard dash on the opposite side and caught him just as he climbed out. It was a 52 yard shot. He bled like crazy, all over himself, then went down and rolled around in a cactus patch in the gumbo. Looked like hell. I dressed him, then wiped him off with a wet shirt. I did get some good photos of him despite the mess he made of himself.

OK, one last photo. He doesn't have much above the prong, but he prongs off well above the ear. Any guesses on length/score? Where's Eli? I want to see how good he really is at judging them..

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back