PEAX Equipment

A weekend Jont, Sheep Prep 101

Moosie

Grand poopa
Slipped out for a Little Hike Sat. Country was Great. I almost clocked in a 1/2 mile !!!! (OK, Maybe it was a full mile ;) ) I'm almost ready for the Sheep hunt.... NOT !!!

The Hills and Country were pretty cool :

hilltop_original.jpg

While I was up there I figured I'd test the New Canon Digital EOS and see if it was a POS.... I think I actually like it !!

Here is a Group of Trees I took some Pics of . Actually it's the ones on the far hill I was concentrating on :

TREE1_original.jpg

TREE2_original.jpg

TREE3_original.jpg

TREE4_original.jpg

The first 2 were my 18-55mm lens and then the last 2 were the 75mm-300mm lens. I think even a Loud,non sneaky guy like myself might be able to take some Wildlife pictures .......

It was then time to se if I could take a Picture of Wildlife. Nothing Crazy but here is a Grouse :

GROUSE_original.jpg

FEET ? Yah, they Hurt when I was done... But Wed I'm going to do a Mile and a Quarter to build up for the 50 Mile Sheep hunt in < 4 weeks.....

BLISTER1_original.jpg

Cool thing was We found a little Dead elk :

RACK1_820830_original.jpg

Other cool thing was we saw a Bigger live elk. :

ELK1_MUNCH_original.jpg

The above picture was at about 150 yards out. We got Busted not trying to be quiet but wish we had actually, but ohh well. I took the Picture (8 meg) and cropped it in a little to see the Munch/Lunch a little better.

ELK1_MUNCH1_original.jpg

He decided he didn't like us so left :

ELK2_AWAY1_original.jpg

ELK3_HILLIMG_0450.jpg

I took 50+ pictures of the Elk as it walked/trotted up the Hill. the 1 GIG card for the camera allows about 550 8 meg pics to be taken. I plan to take 2 cards on the Upcoming sheep hunt with T-bone next month. We should have at least one good picture hopefully. Putting them all together it almost looks like a movie. Wasn't a Bad Solo Elk in Velvet and I'm hoping to find him again in a few more months......to......uhhhh...take a picture of him "again" :)

Nice pics. What lens were you using for your zoom series?

If you learn to use your editing software you could make the scenery pics look a lot better in about 20 seconds.

Might want to wear moleskin for the rest of your training. Ouch!

HAHA, Moleskin....check :)

Oak, I know Crap about camera's and Editing stuff. I put the Camera on the Little Green square option and it does my settings. I did mess with the "portrait" setting and like it too.

The lens I was using was a CANON Zoom EF 75-300 1:4-5.6 III USM (Whatever the Frik the means :) )

I have a Corel editing program I jsut got with about a Billion options to enhance pics. I will be messing with it more to show a Better picture.

Cool pix, any of those taken around your property? If you wear hiking boots instead of the pearly white sneakers your heels should look a little better. ;) :D

Warren was up with me and about 2 miles into it he had some Blisters. We braved the trail and then cut accross country. He should have stopped when he had the Chance :)

Warren_blisters_original.jpg

He came into the Office today with a Cane. his one back heal looks like he rubbed it with Sandpaper and might be infected now. I didn't make fun of him..... much ;) He is truely in pain though :) Last night I did aShort 1 mile trip and Wed night I'll do a Flat ground 5 miler with weight in the pack again. Next weekend another 10-15 miler and then the Countdown comtinues for T-bones Sheep hunt......

I took water bottles and Filled them up and Put them in the Pack. I used 64# as my weight (Plus camera and some Munchies) jsut to try it out. I think I like the New pack. But water is heavy. I almost dumped some on the Hike back :D

G-sus!! You guys need to rethink your footwear/socks. No reason to put up with that, especially on such a short hike. Earlier this summer I was hiking 8-10 miles a day for work and didn't hardly get a red spot. It's not easy country either.

Nice looking pics, right up until that last one. Those may be the worst blisters I've ever seen on a heal; or is that past the blister stage to the raw meat stage? I'm impressed with the pics the new camera took; I've been eyeing the digital Rebel and a Nikon SLR lately as an upgrade to my current camera. Good finds on both bulls as well.

Get you some of the synthetic liners and wear them under your heavy socks and you won't get tore up as bad. The is another type of blister protection out that is like moleskin but slick. One of the ladies I teach Hunter Ed with brought it in, think it is made by Band-Aid. Anyway, because it is slick it doesn't roll up in your socks as easy - per her testimonial about it. All I have ever used was moleskin so I can't vouch for it. Duct tape is slick and it works too - I can vouch for it...:D

AzSlim, Dr. Schouls makes a slick blister protector and I can vouch that they saved my butt on a hunt a few years ago. I keep some in my pack always. John

Moosie, those are really nice photos, even the ones of your blisters on the heels...tisk...tisk...tisk. Get yourself some of them slick blister protectors like John mentioned. They really do help.

What kind of socks where you guys wearing? 80 grit? Do your boots slip arond a lot?

Lucky for me, I've never had blisters like that, I've had small ones, but that was only after my boots got soaked and I didn't have any more dry socks.

If your feet get sweaty easily, put some antipersperant on them it will help a bunch and keep your feet dry-er... Change socks out at least once a day if you're hiking a bunch.

Back