If you have $1000-$2000 for a Spotting scope..

Moosie

Grand poopa
I know there was a Thread about this But looser me can't find it.

I have an Itch for a New Spotting scope with a Couple of coins in my pocket and the Wife gave me the OK to spend them on Hunting Crap !!!! Talk to me again why the one you have is the one to get or post a picture of what you'd buy.

I'm going on a Sheep hunt with T-bone this year and want to be able to see across canyons. although the Hike in will be 16 miles (or 1523 Billion miles when I get out and tell the story) I don't mind a couple extra oz. to pack in a Quality lens.

talk to me you Optics guru's !!!!! My time frame is to Buy it my months end.

Swarovski STS65. Skip the HD version, waste of money. Buy the stay on case. Buy a very, very good (stable with a smooth head) lightweight tripod. A great scope on a crappy tripod isn't any better than a crappy scope on a good tripod.

Any idea's what a Good trypod costs ? Would you get one with a Grip hand handle (The ones like the pilots stick shift) ? Anyone else have their .02 ?

I tried the Jim White head at a FNAWS convention. Smoooooth.

From my limited experience lightweight tripod/head setups can't compare with the medium/heavy weights.

One trick to stabilize a lightweight pod is to fill a ditty bag full of rocks and hang it from the tripod center.

I've heard some good things about Slik tripods, FWIW.

For almost as good optics as Swaro/Leica but a few bucks less take a look a the Minox spotters. I've been impressed with the few I've looked through. IIRC Minox is a subsidiary of either Swaro/Leica.

Have any of you guys ever used Doctors spotting scopes?

the ones I used ( long time ago)were like a pair of binocs but there were 2 spotting scopes mounted together with interchangeable eyepiece's, they mounted on a tripod.
for me it was easier to look through with less eyestrain than a spotting scope and your feild of view was 3x the size as a spotting scope

Delw

Back