PEAX Equipment

S. Africa Proposes Canned Hunting Ban

FLIPPER

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
S. Africa proposes 'canned hunting' ban
Ian Michler/Associated Press

May 3, 2006
CAPE TOWN, South Africa -- South Africa proposed new laws Tuesday that would end the "canned hunting" of wildlife bred in captivity to be shot in closed reserves by wealthy tourists.
Breeding threatened or endangered large predators such as cheetahs, lions or leopards for any type of hunting would be forbidden. Also banned would be all hunting that causes unnecessary suffering, such as the use of bows and arrows on large animals that can take hours or days to die.

"The days of captive breeding of listed species for any purposes except science and conservation are over," Environment Minister Marthinus van Schalkwyk said.
The new laws would "close the loopholes that have allowed environmental thugs to get away with immoral activities like canned hunting," he said.

In 2004, an estimated 6,700 tourists killed nearly 54,000 animal "trophies," according to a report last year that recommended a ban on canned hunting. The report did not say how many of those hunts were "canned."

Hunting of all types is an integral part of South African life because of its traditional cultural importance and contributions to the economy. There was no immediate response to the proposed law from hunting associations, although mainstream groups have said they recognize a need for tighter controls.

The expert panel last year found horrific examples of abuse. It said some hunters were offered the chance to shoot large mammals, including rhinoceroses, with bows and arrows, condemning them to a long and painful death.

Van Schalkwyk said the new laws would stamp out practices that "have cast a shadow on our phenomenal conservation successes, and left a stain on our reputation as world leaders in protecting and promoting biodiversity."

"Hunting will now be permitted only by humane methods, in accordance with strict fair chase principles, by hunters registered with recognized hunting bodies," said van Schalkwyk, who described himself as an avid hunter.

All hunting reserves would have to be registered under the new laws and authorities will document the number of animals killed. There would be fines or imprisonment of up to five years for any violation.

The International Fund for Animal Welfare, one of the organizations campaigning for tougher controls, welcomed the draft regulations.

Flipper,while I've never been to Africa I have read a few things about hunting there. Peter Capstick mentions how the preservationists (as opposed to the conservationists) made inroads during the 70s in deturmining African big game hunting policies -and how he wasn't too thrilled about the direction things were heading. Don't even get me started about Robert Mugabie's additude towards African big game in Rhodesia... this self-proclaimed "next Hitler" is busy sending his troops up in gunships to machinegun and rocket attack that country's herds of animals into extinction.
While any ban on hunting is alarming and is totally counterproductive to our conservation efforts, it appears that there will soon be no choice other than to pick our battles and win the ones we can actually win. While no one I know approves of canned or highwire fence hunts, we should at the same time be aware that banning one method of "harvesting" is a step towards banning another form of hunting... or banning ALL hunting FOREVER.
The issue of how much suffering hunting causes animals (or not) is a rallying point of contention with the animal rights activists, and this is what they constantly project to the public. I -for one- DON'T think it's a brilliant idea to whack a rhino with a bow and arrow. The point being (as expressed by any antihunting organization we could care to mention): hunters aren't ethical and don't care how much pain they are causing. Anything that can be done to disprove these bogus accusations will be worth it. DD

Sounds like South Africa has taken the first step, to put the term Hunt back in Hunting in their Country.
We've made it illegal to hunt game (livestock) animals in Montana, on High fence Ranches.
I think game farms are the biggest threat posed to hunting we have.(desease, loss of habitat, genetic pollution,) the list goes on.

Tom, those organizations are insignificant enough without me joining them -lol!! Look, there actually are instances when animal protection agencies make positive contributions to animal welfare, and should be allowed to make their opinions known concerning what they feel might be wasteful or disrespectful misuse of a natural resource. I think we can all go along with that. What is a little too obvious are the concocted accusations of animal tourture and abuse being foised off on a duped population of rightous antihunters. This bald-faced wildlife and real estate grab is disingenious and plageristic beyond belief. "LET THEM RAVE, SO MEN WILL KNOW THEM TO BE MAD."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back