Montana Regs

justdada

Just got my Montana Sheep Goat and Moose regs in the mail.
Happened to notice that last year, they issued only 3 Ram tags to Non-residents... Seems like the 4300+ non-res applicants hit on a bit lower than 10% of the cap this year. That suuuuucks!!! of course it won't keep me from applying again. :D
So, are there any non-residents of Montana among us who have actually drawn a sheep/goat/moose tag??

carbonarcher, 18 years?? ....guess I can't feel sorry for myself after only trying for 6 years in Montana.

Montana has some smoker rams for sure. While I'm a qualified sheep nut, I only have points going in NV. I put in for the raffles in other states. I figure the odds aren't much different.

My buddy Tom drew a ram tag for Petty Creek in 2004 as a NR.

I helped him out and he killed a 10 year old 40 inch ram that scored 179 and change.

My dad drew as a resident last year after applying for 32 years.

You never know, and I'll be applying for sure, with max points.

280, I bet you thrrew one hell of a party when they announced the start of preference points! lol
33 years and no tag? I'd suggest you steer clear of Vegas with luck like that!

I think theres still at least 4 unlimited areas, 300, 303, 500 and 501.

Atchesons have taken some nice rams out of the 500's. Last I heard they no longer guide hunters there, but sold to someone else.

Its tough country, but there are rams to be had if you're committed and you catch a break.

As to 33 years without a tag...jump in line...lots of people have been applying for much longer than that.

This year will be number 26 for me in Montana...although 2 of those years I applied and drew an unlimited tag.

I heard of a non resident (W. V. I think) that drew a Perma-Paradise sheep tag and a Bitterroot Goat tag 2 years ago. Figure out those odds! In 2000 as a resident I drew both a goat and a moose tag, as well as a unlimited sheep tag. It was a good year!

BigHornRam said:
In 2000 as a resident I drew both a goat and a moose tag, as well as a unlimited sheep tag. It was a good year!
Very cool. A friend of mine also drew a moose and goat tag in 2000. The goat tag was for Square Butte, so no gimmee.:D He also is a biologist for FWP. Boy, you should have heard the talk around town.:D I think it would almost be bad luck to draw two of the big three in one year.

justdada, yep, I was born and raised in montana and started applying when I was 12. Moved to washington at age 30, lived here the last 10 years and have not applied for sheep as a NR. My brother has now been applying for 24 years, my father for something like 36 years. Dad did draw a Moose tag after 26 years. The odds are just long no matter how you cut it.

I've drawn a bull moose tag and a mt goat tag for MT...Still hoping for a sheep.

This will be year 16 for me on the big 3... only one I've school drew both a moose and a goat tag the same year a few years back. One on the south side of the river the other on the north... He ended up with a decent bull, but never got the billy. To much snow and not enough time.

Maybe this year will be my year, but I doubt it.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back