Washingtom multi-season tags

nochawk

WDFW MEDIA ADVISORY
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov/

April 3, 2006

Multiple-season hunt permit applications

Deer and elk hunters may apply for multiple-season permits through April 9.

A Feb. 2 Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) news release announced an earlier application deadline for the new multiple-season hunt permits.

Hunters can enter a drawing for a limited number of special permits that would allow them to participate in archery, muzzleloader and modern-firearm general hunting seasons for deer and elk in 2006. Those selected must follow all rules in effect for each season.

Permit applications are available at https://fishhunt.dfw.wa.gov/ , retail license dealers statewide, or by calling (866) 246-9453. A drawing for 1,500 multiple-season deer permits and 500 multiple-season elk permits will be held in April.

Washington state residents selected for the special permits must purchase a $164.25 multiple-season tag, along with a regular hunting license, to participate in the special hunt.

For more information, call (360) 902-2464.

I won't be applying to be one of the chosen ones for this multi season hunt. Not for that price anyway. Maybe if they allowed an animal per hunt. But I would think they would make far more money if it was just a $20 permit and limited it to first come first served.

I applied for both but I'm hoping I don't draw, as I don't really want to spend the money on it this year. I just wanted to get the points so I have a better chance next year. carbonarcher, if it was only $20 and first come-first serve, the WDFW would bring in only about 1/10th of the money with the way it is now. If it was $20 and still a drawing, and 8 times more people applied, they would break even. So I could see where they could make more money if they got more than 8 times the number of applications. But I like it at the price it is now; makes drawing odds much better.

I bought an elk cause you can hunt both sides of the state if you get drawn for it. Theyve already sold $125K worth of permits.

carbonarcher said:
Make it $20 and increase the number of multi season tags. More money, thats all they are really after anyway, they are in no way trying to increase hunter opportunity.

I don't believe the state is only doing it for the money. This is something many people have been wanting for years, ever since they went to where you had to choose only one season (archery, muzzleloader, or rifle.) So hunters have been asking the WDFW to go back to the way it used to be in the old days; problem is with all the people now and along with habitat loss and a decrease in the private land that is accessible to the public, they just can't do that anymore. It would put too much pressure on the wildlife. It's bad enough that we have over-the-counter tags for everything except moose, sheep, and goats. But anyway I think the WDFW is doing this to try to give hunters what they want. I don't fault them for that. Plus I am glad they are making money with these permits. They need all the money they can get.

I fully agree they need all the money that they can get. I also agree many people have wanted to see it return to hunt any season, I am one of those people as I think the choose your weapon rule is ridiculous. I'm sure you've heard the 90-10 rule correct? The rule where the same 10% of the hunters kill 90% of the deer/elk every year? I find this rule holds true when I talk with most people whom are hunters. So if they let everyone have multi-season tag how would this change harvest stats very much? It might change the stats by 3% max would be my bet. I think if you look around this board and most any hunting board as well as listen in down at the local hunting shop, you'll find the rule to be predominantly true. A $20 price tag would make it more accessible to the average guy, and lets be honest, 90 percent of the hunters only hunt one maybe two weekends anyway and hell, only 10% of them even get out of their truck.. I believe the overcrowding, too much pressure on the animals argument is purely hype. The WDFW see's the multi-season tag as a money maker and a way to tell sportsman, "see, you CAN hunt multi-season again." JMHO.

Well, that's an interesting way to look at it. In my opinion our state needs shorter and more restrictive seasons, not more liberal. In fact I'd like to see mule deer hunting by permit only, and possibly elk. But that's just me. I'd take quality over quantity any day.

I would agree. In my opinion, what should happen is not permits at all for elk. Lets simply go to every other year, but multi season. You can only buy an elk tag or even a mulie tag every other year. Leave the seasons possibly as they are, maybe extend archery a bit further into september and since all are tags are on computer anyway it would be easy to monitor. This way as opposed to not knowing whether you and your buddies get to hunt elk this year or that, because this guy drew a tag, and this guy didn't. You can still make plans to go to a semi-annual elk camp. For the first year take the number or elk licenses that were sold the previous year, cut it in half and make it first come first served. The next year you don't get to buy a tag. Then everyone can plan on hunting, 06, 08, 10, and so on and so forth. Would cut down on pressure and harvest and help build the herd and maybe, jut maybe we may see some growth of the elk herds and possibly a few more branch antler tags for areas like the blue motns and so forth. Just a suggestion. I think you and I are on the same page as wanting a little more quality and a little more true QUALITy from a game management aspect.

Back