Questions about Colorado

guppie9

Hi everyone,

The wife and I are seriously considering relocating to Colorado in the next 3-5 years. I know that is still a ways out, but we are waiting for our property to gain a little more value before we sell. We really anticipate that happening in the next 3-5 years. My question is, what's life really like there? My wife is a nurse and I am a teacher, so we can usually find jobs anywhere without too much difficulty. We like Colorado because of the climate and because it is about halfway between her family and mine. We are really looking at the Colorado Springs area and would like to stay away from big cities like Denver. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Uhhhh, have you been to Colorado Springs lately? Not exactly small town U.S.A.

The traffic is usually as bad, if not worse there than Denver. I drive through Denver, Ft. Collins, and Colorado Springs quite a bit during the summer. Ft. Collins would be less busy than Colorado Springs.

Ever thought about Cheyenne Wyoming??? Housing is much cheaper, you're only about 45 miles from Ft. Collins, another 35 miles or so to Denver.

You'd be able to buy a lot more house/land for your money in Cheyenne and I'd guess landing jobs there wouldnt be that difficult for either you or your wife. IF you werent able to find in work in Cheyenne, its still a pretty easy commute to Ft. Collins.

Oh, and the hunting would be better in Wyoming...that alone should make your choice real easy. No brainer as far as I'm concerned.

Actually, I hadn't thought about that Buzz. I haven't been to that part of the country in at least 10 years or so. Never been to Wyoming. Thanks for the idea. That gives me something else to think about. I will now let the Colorado and Wyoming folks fight it out!!!!

P.S. Buzz....you will be able to point out all the good spots for me to ride my ATV, right???? :D :D :D :D :D :D

Buzz nailed it Guppie, Co Springs was a small town, not anymore and prices are high. You can drive south to Denver for a Rockies came as easily as you can drive north. The I-25 corridor has really blown up in the last 20 years. Good Luck, John

Guppie,

Honestly, Colorado Springs is a big city, very busy and growing extremely fast. Its grown a lot since I was first through there about 5-6 years ago. I've honestly spent more time stuck in traffic there than anywhere on the front range. I try to avoid CS if at all possible.

Dont get me wrong, theres times its kind of nice to go to Denver and Ft. Collins but the nice thing about Laramie and Cheyenne...I can be to either big city in 1-2 hours...and also back home to the slower paced life in the same amount of time. I enjoy seeing a few Rockies games a year, etc. in Denver.

I really like not fighting traffic, less people, better hunting/fishing opportunities in Wyoming.

A few other things nice about Cheyenne, is if you like to fish, theres some great fishing close to there...warm water fish like walleye, bass, catfish, etc. in Gray Rocks, Glendo, Hawk Springs, actually a couple of the lakes right in town are good as well. Plus, if you head 40 miles West to Laramie theres the plains lakes there with excellent trout fishing. Also, Western Nebraska has some excellent fishing as well.

Hunting opportunities within 100 miles of Cheyenne are incredible. Over-the-counter tags for elk and deer and plenty of public lands to hunt both, antelope permits are 100% draw odds for many areas around Cheyenne, you can also apply for an additional cow elk permit near Cheyenne, as well as 2 antlerless deer and 2 doe antelope tags. Typically, you can also buy 2 additional left-over doe antelope tags per year. Also, theres a ton of waterfowl near Cheyenne as well.

If you're looking for outdoor opportunities close to where you live, yet fairly close to a big city, I'd personally say you'd be hard pressed to find a place better than Cheyenne.

You can find the spots to ride your atv on your own, but I'd be willing to share a couple good hunting spots to get you started in the right direction.

Damn Buzz, I really thought you would bite on the ATV question! :D :D :D

Seriously though, while we have disagreed on several issues, I do respect your opinion a great deal and appreciate your offer for hunting help. You can be damn sure that if we do relocate to that area, I will be taking you up on it. If I can do half as well as some of the people you have helped in the past, I will be very happy.
I gotta say, Cheyenne sounds very nice. Like I said, I haven't been to the CO Springs area in easily 15 years. I looked up the population and it was almost 400K!!! I had no idea it was that big. Definately not what I was looking for. Cheyenne was around 60K I think. That is more like it. Like I said, we are just spit-balling right now, throwing ideas around and won't be going anywhere for 3-5 years. I like the sound of it, though. My wife's family lives in Tacoma, WA and my family is in Phoenix, so we were looking at areas that would be in between but within a reasonable distance. We like the small town feel we have up here in Alaska, but it is getting ridiculous to travel in and out of here anymore. With myself, my wife, daughter, and another on the way, it will cost us between 2-3K just to fly to Seattle!!! Tack on another grand to continue on to Phoenix.

Our house has gone up about 50K in value over the last 5 years. We are waiting for it to go up another 50K than we can sell, pay off both mortgages, pay off some crappy credit card debt and still have a nice chunk of change for moving expenses and a down on a new house.

cjcj, Durango is too Tree Hugger, yeah the signs may say "welcome hunters" but hunter orange is'nt a favorite color there. Pagosa Springs has always been a good stop. With the growth of that area (PS) it is still relatively affordable. Buzz, Do you ever get to The Hungry Farmer in Co Springs? John

gup- Buzz nailed this one IMHO...I just spent a week in the Springs last August for a family event- that place has friggin EXPLODED! Even the locs don't want to live there. Definately would be checking out the smaller burbs if it was up to me as I CAN'T STAND TRAFFIC and you'd get plenty in C.S.!!

Don't move to Cheyenne if you're doing it for the scenery. ;)

You might want to consider Grand Junction on the Western Slope. It's the biggest city on that side, but the whole county has only 150k people. It's 45 minutes east of the redrock desert in Utah and thirty minutes west of the Grand Mesa, with elevations over 10,000 feet and over 200 lakes.

Hungry Farmer in Colorado Springs

Got some bad news about the Hungry Farmer in Colorado Springs. It isn't there anymore. It was closed for a while, got remodeled and has just reopened under a new name. Can't remember it off hand but it is just about 4 miles from my house.

All the advice you are getting is excellent! It really sucks here, you won't like it, too much traffic, too much crime, no hunting or fishing opportunities.
In fact it is just like Los Angeles or NYC. Don't move here, you won't like it. 8;)

I had a MSU student that worked for me part time a few years back that came from a home builder family in Cheyenne. He said his fathers business was doing very well because of all the people that wanted to get away from the crowds in Denver and Colorado in general but still wanted to be reasonably close to a big city. He also said that Cheyenne is a bad place if you don't like wind. From the few times I've been through there I would have to agree.

Some other areas you might find of interest Guppy.......

Around the Spokane area.....North Idaho or even Western Montana is a close commute.

Southern Utah is booming and close to Vegas Airport

Logan Utah area is nice and close to Salt Lake City.

Boise area is OK as well.

Good luck!

BuzzH, how's the upland hunting around Cheyenne?

My wife and I are considering relocating from Phx to Boise, Bozeman, or Ft Collins in the near future. My wife likes Ft Collins the best, but I like Bozeman, and my dog likes Boise. :D

[/I've honestly spent more time stuck in traffic there than anywhere on the front range. I try to avoid CS if at all possible.

QUOTE]

How is it compared to Phileadelphia, New York, Chicago, or Atlanta?

whiskers,

I dont know how it would compare. I've never been to New York, Philly, or Atlanta.

All I know is its usually worse in CS than Denver.

Billygoat, there are pheasants around Cheyenne. Quite a few turkeys close by too. Sage grouse further West and North. Dusky blue grouse in the mountains around Cheyenne as well. I'd only consider the upland bird hunting fair. Definately better places.

You'd be real close to Nebraska and fairly close to South Dakota....I bet you could wear out a shotgun on pheasants in either of those states.

Okay, I'm bumping this because it really looks like we are going to make this move by next summer. Right now, we have our eye on Greeley, CO. 80K people, nice college town, not too big, but also realtively close to Denver. Anyone live near there or go there much? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I really looked into Cheyenne, but my wife just wasn't into it.

Well you've got CSU/Ft. Collins right around the cornere there but not (IMO) the traffic crap of Denver and the Springs....stay to the North gupp hump

MarvB said:
Well you've got CSU/Ft. Collins right around the cornere there but not (IMO) the traffic crap of Denver and the Springs....stay to the North gupp hump

....amen. I'd say you have a pleasant dilemma gupnine.:) I'll have to plug Durango also.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back