Caribou Gear

Sheep Pref Points in Idaho?

justdada

So, I've heard a rumor that those unsuccessful in the 2006 drawing for sheep, moose and goat in Idaho, will end up with a preference point.
Can anyone fill me in on the details? Or whether this is even true?
Thanks!

They are trying to implement a bonus point system but it really won't benefit people on the sheep and goat hunts where they give so few tags. If 200 people put in for 2 tags then 198 of those are going to receive a bonus point so your odds aren't much different next year.

BRD DAWG- I don't know Idaho (Whether they will have bonus points or not). I haven't seen the regulations. However, I will say I am a believer in the bonus point system. Last year in Montana after a few years worth of bonus points, I was able to draw a bull moose tag and my dad was able to draw a bighorn sheep permit. I know it isn't solely due to bonus points but I truely believe it has helped those that put in year after year. It's still up to luck of the draw but the "luck" increases the longer a person puts in.

I'm pretty sure that Idaho is looking at a bonus point system for species other than the ones you mentioned, like deer, elk, and antelope. I think it had to get legislature approval as they were going to also raise fees a little to pay for the new system. I haven't heard much about it lately, we should know fairly soon once the new regs are published.

rumors

It was printed in Garth Carters magazine that Idaho would likely be giving points for moose, sheep and goat THIS year... It didn't sound as though they were certain though, so I thought I'd check in with you guys.
I want to get in on the ground floor with the pref points and I know you guys have had on and off discussion about the possibility (mostly from moosie and his 'contacts') but if no one has heard for sure, I won't put too much stock into the rumor. But definately keep us posted if you hear something!
Thanks!

Everything I have heard throughout all of the surveys and talk, none of it has centered on moose, goats or sheep. I think most all of it started with a few select deer and elk units that have very poor draw odds. Idaho has some really good draw odds on some of its moose, sheep and goat hunts (compared to other states) so i really don't think a bonus point system would make a whole lot of difference there. I think Garth has this one wrong. I can try to ask next week with someone who would probably know about the status of it on other species. Like moosie I'm not quite sure where to stand on this. The elk unit I try for has terrible odds, but if it goes to a point system I'll pretty much have to stay locked into applying for it year after year until I draw if I want to get a benefit from a point system.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back