Caribou Gear

NM oryx

mtmiller

No good results for me this year. Probably the first of many to come over the next couple months. :D

Anyone else have better luck?

I'm in the same boat as you miller. O for 2. Would of been fun to hunt 'em.

Actually I hope I don't draw any tags this year as I really don't like to hunt, right Moosie. :rolleyes:

Thats Right... Although we wanted to draw Oryx in NM... We don't want to draw ANY others we're ptting in for. We're sending them money to get some back !!!!!!

I can find out for you, I have a friend that goes almost every year and kills a broken horn. I believe the trophy oryx are pretty spendy.

--Bill

Most landowner permits I've seen are going for around $1500, plus you still have to buy the tag from the g&f which is another $1500.
Ted Turner's ranch (Armendaris) has 1 day broken horn hunts for $500 plus tag.

Snow Man said:
Oryx in New Mexico? where are they imported from?
They were brought in in the 60's. Most are on the military installations. I assume from Africa as I believe they are the same species also known as Gemsbuk.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, they are Gemsbuk, or Kalahari oryx. Wild as can be, and a blast to hunt. I took this one in '04 on an off-range hunt.

offrange.jpg

I gotta say nmtaxi, that is one of the nicest harvest pics that I've seen on the web. Very fine trophy!

Is that a pretty easy hunt then? I thought for most of the them you're only given two days with no scouting access on the missle range before the hunt. Seems like it'd get pretty hot during those summer hunts also.

5 or 6 years ago I'd of said the hunts were easy just because of the number of these that were on the missile range. Now that the numbers are down, people are finding out how extremely intelligent these animals are, and more and more people are coming home empty handed.
This oryx that I killed was during the August off-range hunt on public land. Not too many animals off-range, and it took me all month to finally fill my tag.

On the range getting one is easy. Getting a good one is not. Most guys just get bummed out after the first day and pound anything the next day and a lot of dinks are taken. Its a lot like lope and Mule deer hunting i guess i would say.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back