Montana Super Tag

ELKCHSR

FWP COMMISSION ADOPTS 2006 BIG GAME SEASONS
SUPERTAG OFFERS CHANCES FOR HUNT OF A LIFETIME

FWP COMMISSION ADOPTS 2006 BIG GAME SEASONS
Simplified hunting regulations and an effort to bring Montana's elk populations in line with management targets are among the highlighted hunting-season changes recently adopted by Montana's Fish, Wildlife & Parks Commission.

Here's a summary of changes adopted for the 2006 hunting seasons:

· Elk and Deer

The commission consolidated most elk and deer hunting opportunities within Montana's five-week long general hunting season while liberalizing those general seasons in areas that are over objective, and developing a standardized process for both management seasons and game damage hunts. The focus on Montana's five-week general hunting season is intended to: (1) better distribute hunters across public and private land to create hunting opportunities and deer and elk harvests where needed; (2) simplify Montana's big game hunting regulations by offering more liberal general season hunting opportunities where elk and deer numbers exceed population targets; (3) eliminate most early and late season hunts; (4) identify and contact landowners who experience regular game damage or management seasons and create a roster of hunters who can respond rapidly to early, late or extended game damage seasons as provided by state law.

· Deer and Antelope License Limits

Commissioners decided to limit the number of antlerless deer and antelope doe/fawn licenses a hunter can purchase for use during early archery and general seasons to seven and two respectively. In recent years, there were no caps on the number of these licenses that could be purchased. Game damage hunt's are not included in these limits.

· Mountain Lion

A mountain lion permit system was adopted for 13 hunting districts in northwestern Montana's Region 1, which replaces existing harvest quotas. The permit system is intended to help manage competition among mountain lion hunters and prevent accidental over harvests. All other mountain lion hunting in Region 1 will continue to be managed under quota-based regulations for resident and nonresident lion hunters. In southwestern Montana's Region 2, nearly all mountain lion hunting will remain under quota-based regulations for residents, while nonresident lion hunters will be allotted 10 percent of the quota under a permit system. The only exception is Hunting District 292 (Garnet lion study area), where permits are required for all hunters.

The commission also adopted new hunting-license validation requirements for the fall and winter mountain lion hunting seasons.

Houndsmen can still participate in the hound-training (chase) season with appropriate licenses.

· CWD and Transporting Animal Carcasses

In an ongoing attempt to reduce the risk of spreading Chronic Wasting Disease in Montana, the commission adopted new guidelines for transporting animal carcasses. Beginning this year, it is illegal to transport into Montana the whole or carcass parts of white-tailed deer, mule deer, elk, or moose from states or provinces where CWD occurs. Only cut and wrapped meat, meat with no part of the spinal column or head attached, clean skull plates, and finished taxidermy heads can be legally transported.

· Youth Hunting Opportunities

By expanding the age range by a year, the FWP Commission provided youngsters age 12-15 with the opportunity to participate in Montana's youth-related hunting opportunities that allow youth hunters to pursue antlerless elk with a general elk license in hunting districts where special permits are typically required to harvest antlerless elk.

Details on 2006 big game regulations will be available on the FWP web site at fwp.mt.gov in mid-March. Copies of Montana's 2006 big game hunting are expected to be available from most FWP offices and license providers by April 6.

-fwp-

SUPERTAG OFFERS CHANCES FOR HUNT OF A LIFETIME
Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks recently approved a new hunting-license lottery for hunters seeking a $5 chance to draw a license for some of the states most popular big game species.

Under the new rules, resident and nonresident hunters can purchase an unlimited number of $5 chances to draw any one of the new "SuperTags" for moose, bighorn sheep, mountain goat, elk and deer. Hunters who win a SuperTag will receive a license good statewide for that species during the regular hunting season.

The lottery for the five "SuperTags" was authorized by the 2005 Montana Legislature after the Private Lands Public Wildlife Council recommended it as a way to help fund the state's hunting access enhancement program and wildlife law enforcement.

Hunters only need a conservation license to purchase SuperTag chances. All chances on the deer, elk, moose, mountain sheep and mountain goat licenses will be sold by FWP license providers and via the Internet beginning March 15.

For more information visit fwp.mt.gov. Look for Hot Topics and click SuperTag Information.

-fwp-

Thanks Craig...

I didn't have much time this morning when that e-mail came across my desk... :)

I bought one of each early on. They assign your tag a number, sequential I think. So I just bought another elk and sheep ticket to see how many have been sold... my elk ticket is # 13,214. My sheep was #17,882. They are still selling sheep goat and moose for another 2 weeks, and elk/deer for about 6 weeks. Good frikkin luck will be needed on those babies.

I am very interested in seeing how many $$ will be generated with the system. With a minimum of 17,882 sold at $5 we are around 90K. I will estimate 1K NR had to pay the $12 (I think that is right). We are over 100K. I am sure there will be a quite a few more sold over the next two weeks. Odds suck, but good money for the sportsmen of Montana and the NR's that are lucky enough to hunt here. I hope the tag goes to someone that bought a couple tickets and not someone that can purchase 1,000 chances at the drop of a hat.

Is there a link to see how many tickets have been purchased prior to the drawing? I just searched a person I know had purchased tickets to see their raffle number. Not the best way to track, but gives you an idea of what has been purchased (if you know when they purchased them). ;)

Oak said:
Thanks for the reminder, GH. I just made the odds a little worse. ;)

I also decreased the odds :D hump

super deer #5103
super elk #13251
super moose #11260
super sheep #17965
super goat #6530

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6