just moved to boise

wolverine207

I just moved to boise from michigan and I am looking for a hunting and fishing partner. For big game whitetails are my only experience, so going after these mulies and elk will be a big challenge. I also love to waterfowl and bird hunt. I am glad that I brought all my deks out here with me. By the looks of all the waterfowl I have seen flying around it looks like the hunting is good. I also have a german shorthair. He has only seen one bobwhite quail in his life and I can not wait to turn him loose on some mountain quail and chucker. Any info would be great. Thanks Dave

First off, Welcome to the Board. I have pleanty of hunting partners but I'd be willing to share some information if you had any questions.

Welcome to Hunttalk.com

And here I thought all the transplants were Kalifornicators........Welcome to Boise and Moosie's site. I sold my house in Nampa and will be making the big move to Homedale next week. Oh the peacefullness of a small town. I can hardly wait..........

Thankyou for the reply moosie and wilecoyote76. I would like some info on the donnelly cascade and mccall area. My inlaws are building a home in donnelly so I will be doing a lot of hunting in that area to start off with. I have heard that there are some whitetails in that area but riggins has a lot more. I can not wait to go after so elk and mulies. Unless one is bigger than what I have taken in Michigan whitetails don't interst me right now. I would also like to get some advice on equipment sometime like backpacks, boots, knives ect. Simple things to you but things that a novice would need after the havest. In michigan after you get a deer you have a 100 or 200 yard drag to the truck and you go home to process it. I know packing out a muley or elk is going to be a very different experience all together. Also do duck hunters target divers on lake casade. I brought along 3 dozen of my bluebill and ringneck deks with me and I was just wondering because there is nothing like divers doing 60mph two feet above the water with their tales on fire. Thanks again dave

wolverine207 said:
Also do duck hunters target divers on lake casade.
More like coots, mergansers and golden-eye in boise.
Just kidding, inside joke.
Good luck and enjoy ID hunting.

hey wolverine dont listen to anything moosie says, ive lived here three years now and all i have killed are 3 little bucks no elk even though thats my fault but we wont go into that story. But if u ever need a fishing partner i do alot of that and bear and elk gonna do alot of that this year

hey txdeerhuntr thankyou for the reply. We will have to get together this summer and do some fishing. What part of the state do you hunt bear and elk? We drove up to tamarak over the weekend and saw about 20 mule deer just outside horseshoe bend. I am still looking forward to seeing some elk. We have a few in Michigan but I have never seen one before that was not behind a fence. Drop me a email sometime so we can talk.

If you want to see Elk... Just drive up 55 to Banks, take a Right on Banks-Lowman toward and Garden Vallay. After Garden Valley you'll see elk by the road.

i bear hunt right outside of boise in unit 39 and elk hunt in the sawtooth up around grand jean!

Coyote,

Give it 5 more years and Homedale won't seem so small anymore...I bet it will be a part of the Boise metro area as well!!! To much friggin growth here, but gives me job security!

Wolverine,
I live in eagle as well, and am fishin/hunting year round. Just drop me a line!

Hey fowladdict, are you going to the sportsman expo this weekend? I am thinking of going but I do not know when yet. Let me know if you would like to come along.

Wolverine, If you're going, Stop by the Antler judging area. Right accross from that there is a DHI (Deer Hunters of Idaho) booth and Ask for Cliff. DHI is actualy scoring the animals. Tell him You're wolverine from Hunttalk. He is looking for a hunting partner and Has some good areas to hunt.

fowladdict, The moving to Homedale thing fell through in a quick hurry so I am stuck here in Nampa for a little while longer. I think my wife and I will still move west but in due time. Funny thing about Homedale is that land is getting pricey out there as well so you are right thinking it will be metro Boise in a few short years. I just can't believe how much this place is growing and the traffic is the chits to boot.

Wolverine,

Sorry, i just got the invite. I had a Land Surveying Convention Saturday and then went to the expo in the early afternoon. Too many people, holy cow!!! The line to get in when I was leaving was like the line to get onto space mountain at Disneyland!!! PM me and we'll hook up for lunch or something.

hijacking the thread, but we can get lost this fall together, I'll be there in 4 weeks. I've not done much except whitetails, and ducks/geese for the last 20 years in Oklahoma, the mountains are going to be fun to relearn

Walt

Choc dogs,

The hunting will keep you and your "choc dogs" plenty busy. Drop a line when you get into town. You moving here for a reason?

Moving closer to family, wife's parents there, gets me closer to my siblings in Salt Lake, and sister in boise. I'm outta here the 29th, the boat already has all the decoys, waders n crap in it, and I'm waiting till sunday to pack the rest of the house( priorities, ya know) Unfortunately, the name no longer fits, I had a pair of chocolates that were stolen last december from their kennels, and now I've got a black pup,currently working on basic OB. I guess when I get there, it's time for FF, hopefully I'll be able to get cc done before it's time to chase birds. Then again, I may not be able to hunt much, with new jobs (hopefully something good comes through) and won't be a 6 month resident till the end of the year. I'm looking forward to being someplace with mountains again, and hopefully someone can help me find some birds, I don't think I can go a whole year without at least blowing a duck call and drinking coffee at some entirely godly early hour of the morning.

Thanks for the welcome

Walt

You got a duck boat?!? Okaaay, I'll show you where the ducks are at. But your gonna have to share some of that coffee!!!

What is your line of work?

Geez, talk about hijacking a thread...but..I've worked in retail management for most of the past 20 years,and have experience in building materials sales also, millwork, lumber, paint...I've done some phone interviews with one of the big box stores, and they say they would like to hire me, I'd just like to find something with more stable hours, so that I can get out and look at stuff.
When I get there, I'll post some stuff up, maybe we can make my new neighbors hate me early, if we park a whole bunch of dirty 4x4 trucks on the street and grill out till way early in the morning. AND, while I'm begging, I emptied my freezer by donating to some less fortunate people, if anyone has any venison, duck, goose or other game meat, I'm gonna be empty, and would sure appreciate it if anyone has something they're not gonna use before they fill back up.
Thanks ya'll for welcoming me so much, I post on one of the other websites too, and haven't gotten quite as warm a welcome, when I talk about yet another out of stater coming to Idaho.

Walt

Guarantee you at least 1/2 the people living in Boise are "transplanted potatoes" so at least those that have not been here there whole life will welcome you just fine.

Don't worry about wolverines post...I've gone shooting with the guy and the only thing i got on him is that he is a wolverine fan. :D

You out there wolverine? Drop me a line and we'll hook up again soon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back