Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Chicken Soup and Easy Dumplings

DixieLady

3 cans (19 ounces each) Progresso® white meat chicken noodle soup

1 can (14 ounces) chicken broth

1 can (16.3 ounces) Pillsbury® Grands!® refrigerated buttermilk biscuits

Chopped fresh parsley, if desired

1. Heat soup and broth to boiling in 4-quart Dutch oven. Meanwhile, separate dough into 8 biscuits; cut each into fourths.

2. Drop biscuit pieces into boiling soup. Cook uncovered 10 minutes. (Soup must be at a medium boil.)

3. Cover and cook 10 minutes longer or until dumplings are light and fluffy.

4. To serve, carefully remove dumplings from soup. Ladle soup into individual bowls. Top each with dumplings. Sprinkle with parsley.

I've never tried the canned biscuits as dumplings. I'll have to try that. The only shortcut I've tried is to use Bisquick - otherwise I make them from scratch. (I like to add dried chives or parsley and mix into mine.) I also like to thicken the soup to a stew by adding a little flour paste.

Thanks Calif. Hunter and most the time I cook from scratch too. How do you make your flour paste?
I used a cornstarch paste one time on some mashed potatoes that turned out too soupy. I was trying to thicken and just made a mess :(
DixieLady

I'm not sure how it would work on potatoes, but I put a tablespoon or so of flour in a shaker cup with a tight lid, add about 2/3 of a cup of water (or less for a thicker paste) and then shake the dickens out of it until it the flour is absorbed and the mixture is smooth. I use the same thing to thicken gravy. Add it and let it simmer to the thickness I want. If it is still too thin, I mix up a little more. Mine is usually the consistency of thick paint.

Have you ever tried a pressure cooker...I can make a homemade chicken soup from a 1 full size 3 lb chicken (I do debone it some but it really isn't necessary) 2 carrots 2 celery stalks 1 med. sized onion 2/3 full of water add a touch of salt and pepper (to taste) bring to pressure with the rocker gently moving for about 30- 40 minutes. Cool it down, take the chicken out and cut into bite size portions and take the bones out. Heat to a gentle boil and add dumplings or noodles. (I use a simple mixture of flour, milk, egg and salt for my dumplings and I use egg noodles). Boil for about 10 minutes and you have a home-cooked chicken noodle soup that takes under 1 and a half hours to make.

I also have a sweet and sour chicken recipe for a pressure cooker that takes about 45 minutes from beginning to end and it tastes excellent.

pressure cooker

Hi MattK,
Oh yes, I have tried cooking with a pressure cooker but it's been a long time since I have owned one. I also cook with dutch ovens and slow cookers when need be.
Thanks for sharing your recipe :)

MattK, Since you are familiar with a pressure cooker, try this: 2 large cans of green beens (we get the ones from Dollar General, Cheap) 4 pieces of bacon and a spoonful of sugar, then pressure cook.....I swear they will taste like they came straight out of the garden. Even folks who don't like green beans will like them and you can eat all you want without busting your diet! John

Draftstud- Sounds great, I'll have to try that one. How long do you pressure cook the green beans. If you have any other recipes for a pressure cooker that you have tried, please share. I'm always interested in trying new recipes with my pressure cooker. I have a pretty easy sweet and sour chicken that I cook once in a while also. I've also found corn beef and cabbage, quick and really good.

Back