Caribou Gear Tarp

Lifesize goat

BuzzH

I've been doing some of my own taxidermy work and decided to give a life-size goat a try. I killed this goat in Montana in 1998.

It wasnt as tough as I thought it would be and I'm pretty happy with the results. Plus, being a cheap-skate, I saved myself $1600+.

Goat1.jpg

Bambistew,

Its the hide the goat came with when I shot him. Its been tanned for a while, but was in good shape.

it's hard to tell with just being a picture but i would guess it looks like shit.
:D ;)

DID you make the rock too ?

Aslo, Only $1,600 for a Fubody mount and rock would have been a good deal.
Nice !!!

Moosie,

Nope, didnt build the rock, went with a pre-manufactured McKenzie. Kind of plain jane looking, but it was easy.

I hear you on the life-size mounts...probably closer to $2200.

I paid $1,700 on my 1/2 body tahr and $2,200 on my full body bear.

Not to go anal on ya but are ya willing to take a Closeup of it's face and post it ? I have to admit the eyes are the hardest to look good and thats what makes a mount to me. that being said if it hangs up high who cares too. It sure looks good though at the picture you took !! Kudos man !!!

Buzz

Goat looks fantastic. My taxidermist added a faux moss directly to the rock my goat is mounted on. I googled a few different ideas, but came up with mostly nothing on the technique he used. That leads me to believe he probably has his own recipe of sorts. I'm guessing the same material the rock is made of, plus some fibers and brown pigment. I'd call him up, but he is assisting his wife with a bison hunt right now. I did find on taxidermy.net where someone removed the nap from several different colored pipe cleaners (sounds tedious). Anyhow, not that you asked for suggestions, but could be something to add a little more character to the rock.

Another idea...not sure where the goat came from, but I thought you hunted both Wy and Mt. If it is from Mt, you could recess an area in the rock for this... coin

Two more things...just reread your post. I guess it did come from MT.

2nd...any chance of painting the walls to make him really stand out?

Ovis,

I'll probably add some moss or lichens to the rock at some point. Thanks for the ideas.
When I draw again this year, I'll pick up some habitat while I'm there hunting goats.

Moosie,

I'll take some close-ups of the eyes and face. I had some scars under both eyes, but you cant see them from a couple feet away. I also didnt go over-board on the eye detail, although I did add the oil glands along the lower eye lid. I didnt put a nectating membrane in either, but the eyes are pretty good. The eye shape is correct, the pupils are set correctly, etc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back