Bipods, shooting sticks, others????

jmcd

I am the worlds poorest rifle shot. If I don't have a good rest, I'll probably miss anything past 60 yds. I carry a Harris pivoting bipod for antelope and deer with great results. I don't really like carying it for elk in timber/steep country or on long hikes. Has anyone tried shooting sticks or any other gadgets? What do you think?

I use shooting sticks for everything from deer and elk, to Coyotes. I like the Stoney Point tripod or the Mossback shooting Tripod (mossbackfever.com). THey are both awesome!!

SCOTT

I like shooting sticks. I only use them for predator calling and antelope hunting. For all other big game hunting, I don't mess with them. I use the best rest available at the time and place.

I've found that with practice from field positions, I get a better rifle shot (go figure)

I have a set of the shooting sticks that come apart into two pieces. They are light weight and help a lot to steady your rifle. I don't like that they are not adjustable in height other than using them as one section or attaching both sections. They are also somewhat noisy when putting them together, the sticks are made out of fiberglass. For big game I just use what is available as a rest. I only use the sticks when calling predators.

I also like the Stony Point bi-pod.They are light and eazy to carry. Go with the Stony Point. I think they are like $30.00 . elkay

Agree with T....I use the sticks as well, primarily for goats and song dogs.
Here for comparison are a couple of small goats we took a couple of years back in WY. I used the sticks, my buddy a bi-pod. Even with the legs extended he had trouble clearing the sage, always was catching crap up in the springs, and said he didn't care for the additional weight and the way it changed the balance of his rifle....the sticks are the way to go IMHO.

MarvsGoat1.jpg

EricsGoat.jpg

I have 4 pair of the Stoney Point steady stix and love them. I use them for elk,whitetail, coyotes and anything else especially when using a rifle. Ive also used them for turkey hunting you can set your shotgun on them and the but on the groung and it will be reay and leave hands free for calling. I have tried bipods but dont like how clumsy they make my rifle.
the sticks are easy to carry in a belt pouch behind you on your hip and dont get in the way. The only drawback is you have to be seated because of height issues and it makes it hard to shoot up hiil.

I'm a bipod man myself. I will have one on my rifle if I'm hunting country that is even somewhat open where I think I may have either a semi long shot or trouble fiding a good rest. The harris I've been using lately has enough adjustability that I can use it from prone to sitting positions. On my light rifle I don't notice any clumsiness issues and actually kind of like to forward weight for stability.

BS jmcd, I am the worst shot in MT. I use the Harris, but it is heavy. When I hunt the high country I use my trekking poles or prone with my pack.

I've got a Harris bipod on my antelope rifle, which I use on almost every shot with it. When hunting larger game, I carry the Stoney Point stix. I'll often end up just using my backpack or a tree. Last fall I didn't feel steady enough on the stix when getting ready to shoot my deer (318yds). I set up my backpack and was rock solid. The stix are great for short and mid-range shooting, though.

I use the shooters ridge stalk stick mono pod.I like that it's adjustable from sitting to standing,is light weight and doubles as a walking stick.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back