Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

WY regs

justdada

Ok, so last night I got the 2006 regs for Wyoming...
The first thing I check is the cost of preference points, as this has been the subject of some conversation lately... Low and behold, the rumors are true.
Wyoming now wants more for a non-res preference point than most states charge for resident tags!
Don't get me wrong, I'm still gonna take it in the keyster and fork over the dough, but what a slap in the face to those who have been accumulating points all these years to just say, "ok, if you want to continue to participate, you'll be paying 10 times more this year.
On the other hand, it is nice that they started points for elk, deer and antelope, regardless of how expensive the pref-points are.
We have a hard enough time keeping hunting legal; seems to me, soon we'll be fighting to keep the price realistic too.

Just wanteed to get that off my chest.

Ha, I am going over the same info. right now. I have only applied for NR deer in the past, but feel now is the time to get in with the initiation of the point system. $120 for points/year is high, but I gotta do it I guess.

Hopefully I don't get screwed like those that have been accumulating points for sheep/moose. That jump for points was outragous.

I have about 8 sheep points and was surprised when I saw they bumped the point fee up to $100. $1,900 + tag, outfitter in the wilderness law, overall small sheep, and now $100 for a preferance point. I may spend my money elsewhere. Good luck Wyoming.

Luckily I only had 1 point for sheep and moose but I won't be giving Wyoming the outrageous fee they now want for a stinkin point. I would be happy to give my points(1 :D ) to someone if it was legal like. HA HA. Crap, I have only applied for moose here in Idaho one year....what was I thinking by trying for one out of state! Gosh!

Heres the deal though, that many people dont look at. In Arizona and Nevada you have to buy a $100+ hunting license to even apply. Wyoming requires no hunting license.

I do think the points are steep at the set prices.

On top of that, if you choose to not apply for the point, you can still apply but you'd only have a chance at drawing from the 25% random pool of permits. But, you wouldnt have to purchase the point to still have a chance at a tag.

For the record, while WY may have small sheep, they still have old rams and they give out a good number of permits. I think theres plenty of sheep hunters that need to pull their head out of their ass and realize that MT sheep hunting is not ordinary. About 95% of the areas are an absolute cake walk and 95% of the "huge MT rams" all come from the same genetic pool. Montana is blessed with awesome genetics and easy country...but its also a shame that the average MT hunter who gets lucky and draws a sheep tag thinks if they dont kill a record book ram they're a loser...and that other hunters will think of them as poor hunters if they dont get a book ram.

I'll take a 10 year old 34 inch ram broomed at full curl ram shot on a tough hunt that scores 160 over a 5 1/2 year old 3/4 curl sporting 38 inch horns with 17 inch bases that scores 180 shot off the road in November any day of the week.

Good point Buzz. Although with that $100+ license fee I have an opportunity to hunt in those states whether I draw a tag or not. May not be able to hunt for a big game critter, but a hunting opportunity none the less.

I do have to disagree with the 160 vs 180 ram. I will take the 17", 180 ram in November, but I won't be doing it from the road. :D

Hey, I'll do it from the road. I'm all about easy. I'm applying in Wyoming again, and will pay for the preference points. But not for sheep or moose. Already got a moose there and I don't want to pay that much for sheep, not interested in hunting one that badly.

Buzz, at least when you buy the 115$ lic in AZ you get the points for every critter you apply for. BIG difference. WY can kiss my ass, they will not get my money.

Buzz,

I don't know about any other species, but for sheep if you don't draw they keep $100 dollars of your refund if you don't draw. So a point cost $100 no matter how you look at it.

Was anyone listening...or just whining?

You dont lose anything but a few dollar drawing fee if you enter the draw. You dont acquire the point if you dont pay the $100...but you still have a chance to draw in the random pool...and you PAY NOTHING (unless you draw the tag).

It costs money to apply and hunt. Personally, I will not be denied and the last thing that will get in the way of my hunting is a few hundred sheckles to apply and collect points. I will hunt sheep.

I guess from a selfish standpoint, I'm glad a lot of people are bailing. If you bail, apparently it isnt a very high priority to you. Thats fine.

Oh, and Miller, actually the "perfect" ram for me is a based on age and over-all look rather than B&C score (I like the heavily broomed 10+ year old rams)...most of the 4.5-6.5 year old rams in MT that book are ugly bastards, huge bases with lamb tips and rarely over 4/5 curl. They may score well, but they look like crap. I'd pass up a younger ram that scores more for a better looking older ram that scores considerably less.

Oh, and Miller, actually the "perfect" ram for me is a based on age and over-all look rather than B&C score (I like the heavily broomed 10+ year old rams)...most of the 4.5-6.5 year old rams in MT that book are ugly bastards, huge bases with lamb tips and rarely over 4/5 curl. They may score well, but they look like crap. I'd pass up a younger ram that scores more for a better looking older ram that scores considerably less.
Just like muleys or any other critter I guess, everybody has a different opinion on what attributes their favorite will have. Not a lot of 10 yo sheep are coming out of the areas I am applying for and when someone shoots a 6.5 yo 200" ram I think that is pretty impressive.

Not gone argue with you on which sheep is better, as it is in the eye of the beholder. I have on the other hand never seen an "ugly" sheep (if you know what I mean). ;) :D

mtmiller said:

Not gone argue with you on which sheep is better, as it is in the eye of the beholder. I have on the other hand never seen an "ugly" sheep (if you know what I mean). ;) :D
Oh man, talk about leaving yourself wide open... :D
We know you love, and have tried to love any sheep you ever came in contact with because you think they all have perty mouths. :p Miller thinks a "full Curl" is something he is proud to have left in the toilet

Well, I will be putting in for the elk points each year until I build up a good amount. How much before I put in for the actual tag will depend on how many points are being used to get the tags each year. Until then, I guess I will just go after the reduced price cow hunt and fill my freezer.

Go ahead and bail on Wyoming, make it easier for me to draw :D

Buzz,

The fact that Wyoming has small sheep is my least concern, but it does matter to some people. My biggest gripe is the wilderness outfitter law which doesn't apply to you. I can hike, scout, and photograph Wyoming sheep, and sheep country for free, just can't pull the trigger. Oh well. I look at the huge bump in point fees as the last straw. I think Wyoming is over playing their hand. Time will tell.

BTW Buzz, the way I read the regs. NR do not have a choice in whether or not you purchase points when applying for sheep. The other species you do have a choice. Why charge $100 for sheep, $50 for elk, $30 for antelope, and nothing for goats? Because they can?

BHR,

Reread the regs...and if you werent such a pain in the ass I'd volunteer to be your "guide" in Wyoming...I can legally sign off on 2 Non-Resident hunters a year allowing you to hunt any wilderness area in the state.

On second thought, its almost christmas, draw the tag and I'll sign off for you and help you out...see, I am a nice guy.

BuzzH said:
BHR,

Reread the regs...and if you werent such a pain in the ass I'd volunteer to be your "guide" in Wyoming...I can legally sign off on 2 Non-Resident hunters a year allowing you to hunt any wilderness area in the state.

On second thought, its almost christmas, draw the tag and I'll sign off for you and help you out...see, I am a nice guy.

You better jump all over that offer BHR.

NHY, fellow Geezer

BHR, I think you're right about not having a choice to buy the preference point if you apply for a licence. NHY, he's got to draw the tag first. Heck, one or both of them might be dead before that happens. Maybe Buzz will be pushing BHR's wheelchair up the mountain. ;)

Oak

Now, he's going to look up the odds of getting drawn for every hunt and work on that. Its only one point per year, so the rich guys can't buy all they want, just one per year per species, as I read it.

Tom said:
Now, he's going to look up the odds of getting drawn for every hunt and work on that.
Who is he? What are you talking about?

Its only one point per year, so the rich guys can't buy all they want, just one per year per species, as I read it.
Are you trying to answer your own question from earlier in this thread? BTW, (as I read it) just as everyone else read it, there was no confusion from anyone that has posted on this thread.

I didn't mean to be a whiner when I mentioned the $100 point for the sheep hunters as I am not one of those that has been aquiring points. I do have question though. If I did decide to get in the sheep game starting this year, how long would it take me to get out of the 25% pool and into the 75% pool? I know, "depends on what tag you applied for", but I don't know if I would ever make the 75% pool in my lifetime. That is why I see it important to get in on the ground floor for some of these other tags if you plan to hunt some of the more popular units for the three new species that are now part of the point system.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back