MT bighorn pics

BuzzH

My Dad, my brother Matt and I did some looking for sheep a couple weekends ago for 3 days. We saw lots of sheep, but nothing that stood out. I went back last Thursday and starting finding a bunch of rams. I hiked into a high basin that had 16 rams in it and after several hours of looking at them I picked out one that I thought maybe Dad would like. It wasnt heavily broomed and had good mass. Heres an OK photo through my spotting scope at 450 yards.

IMG_0693.JPG

I watched this ram and the rest of the group for the next 3 days while Dad was at work. I also found another group of 5 mature rams, another group of 3 and then several more lone rams as well as a bunch of less than 3/4 curl rams. I looked at 46 different rams over 3/4 curl.

Dad came up on Saturday morning but was sick as a dog with a bad cold. He rested up while Matt and I kept tabs on the group of rams that Dads was in.

Sunday morning we located the rams right where they'd bedded the night before. Dad was still fighting his cold, but his fever broke in the night and he was feeling about 80%. We made the hike and Matt spotted the rams at 100-125 yards. I determined that the ram I'd taken the photo of was the ram we all decided Dad should take. They got a little nervous and fed around the corner, so we hiked a ways above them and found Dads ram and another feeding in the timber. I wanted to make double sure that it was the right sheep and we watched them at 80 yards until we knew for sure it was the right ram. I told Dad to take the lead ram of the two that were feeding and he made a nice shot, dropping the ram in its tracks with his pre-64 model 70 30/06. The ram then slid a couple hundred yards to the bottom of the draw.

Matt and I were pretty darn excited, but not as excited as Dad.

IMG_0733.JPG

Dads ram again:

IMG_0726.JPG

Matt and I with Dad and his ram, what a great time!

IMG_0763.JPG

Oh, and one last picture that to me is all class...Dads pre-64 with his ram. Plastic stocked rifles may be functional and a pound lighter to pack, but they suck to look at. Old school all the way...

IMG_0745.JPG

Fantastic ram! Congrats to your father. Nice assist for both Buzz and Matt.

Nice low curl on him.

The rifle is ok too.

What a wonderful experience to share with your dad and your brother. It would be more interesting to see if you dad was prouder of the Ram or his boys?

Congrats guys! I like that 4th picture best. Good job and great ram!

Oak

How many years did it take to draw that tag?
Montana has not been good to me with sheep/moose/goat over the last 8 years...
Great ram!! Congrats to you and your father. More proof that scouting hard, pays off!

Great looking bighorn. Congrats to your dad and good job finding and putting him on a big one. I really like the look of him with those curls in close to his head and lots of drop to them before they curl back up. Nice job on the field pics and you're right the one with the pre-64 is all class.

Back