SD 'lope takes a nap

T Bone

This took place a few weeks ago.

Went roadtripping to scout out some pheasant areas. The area had a few leftover 'lope tags so I picked up a couple and headed out. I only had one day to hit it so if I saw a respectable buck it was gonna be in danger.

Found the birds.
IMG015.JPG

Took me a couple hours but found a herd of about 40 lope in some alfalfa stubble about half a mile out. 5 bucks in the group, 4 of them dinks, 1 almost mature buck with a unique backwards swoop to the prong. Used the cover of hay bales to cover the first 300 yards. Still needed a few hundred more to get in rifle range....no cover, no relief. Just 4" alfalfa stubble.

So I do my best impression of a ninja belly crawl while in full sight of the 80 eyeballs. I'm thinking, "this is retarded, this won't work." After a 100 yards I'm thinking "hey, this might work" Another 100 yards, me thinks "I am ninja, I am antelope death."

I get in range and have to wait for over an hour until the buck steps clear. The little rifle cracks, the whole bunch erupts into a sprint. One does a cartwheel.

He's not big like other's posted on this site, but this area isn't much for numbers of lope so I like him just fine. He has a unique backward swoop to the top. The stalk was good fun. Range was a lasered 318 yards. Rifle was the wee little 223 wssm with 55 grn handloads.

I've been back a few times to this area for pheasant and sharpies and havn't seen a single antelope, so I feel better about not passing on him.

IMG028.JPG

IMG019.JPG

Congrats on the 'lope! That thing does look a little strange. Got a closeup picture of it?

Oak

me thinks "I am ninja, I am antelope death."
Now that's funny. Way to go on the 'lope Tyson.

I hope you are finding plenty of stuff to hunt over there.

Great story Tyson. Sometimes you got to take what they give ya. You did good and congrats.

Wow, a 223 at 300+. Geesh, that's a miracle, maybe. That's a major belly crawl, were you sore afterwords? Congratulations!!!

Tyson, dont know if you want to say where you were but if you could pm me with that info I am going to be back home during xmas and would have only a couple of days to hunt. I dont realy want to spend alot of time scouting and would appreciate any info. Now that I am temporarily in Ca. I dont have much time to waste... BTW Great looking buck, and way to go NINJA

Tejas Tom,

It may have been a miracle....I prefer to think that shooting conditions were ideal. Shooting prone with a bipod, no wind, exact yardage known and I'm fairly intimate with the trajectory of that little pea flipper with the handloads I've developed. I had to exercise some control while waiting a long time for the buck to give me a stationary broadside shot that I knew the exact range of. If it had been even slightly breezy I'd of taken the bigger stick that was in the vehicle.

Bullet placement was right on and performance was as hoped. Pea sized entrance and quarter sized exit. Ribs were hit on both sides. He ran about 40 yards.

Good job, Tyson! I haven't hunted pheasant in a long time - since my GSP died a few years back. I sure do miss that dog, and your photos bring back a flood of memories.

Back