MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Montana bull moose...

BuzzH

My younger brother Matt drew a moose permit for Montana and after several days of hunting found one.

I'll let him fill in the particulars of the hunt, but one neat thing was that he killed his moose with our late grandfathers model 70 300 winchester. I think Gramps would approve of his rifle being put to good use on this bull:

mattmoose4_1_1.jpg

Nice Moose Matt. You got a pile of good eatin there! I was hoping Buzz would come over with you to help out so I could pay off my "beer debt" in person and buy you guys dinner. I'm heading over that way tomorrow to help my dad find an antelope and to set up my wall tent.

Nice going! Did you guys see many moose? I've heard the "wolves" are playing havoc with them...

Did your dad draw a sheep tag??? I can't remember I'm pretty sure someone in your family drew one though didn't they?

Here's the story: It took awhile, I've been cutting on moose the last couple of days. Just the hind quarters are left...

Dad and I spent several days looking for moose and found cows almost every day. This was the third weekend and 8th day of looking when I spotted an “odd limb” at the base of a bunch of willows. It was about 11:30 in the afternoon and we both looked it over several times with binoculars, even using a spotting scope and couldn’t tell if it was a moose or not. Finally it was decided I should walk down and take a closer look just in case. I checked when I got to about 450 yards and couldn’t tell and then again at 250 yards and still couldn’t tell for sure. When I got to about 150 yards, the moose stood up. I dropped to one knee put my shooting sticks up and fired a round through the 300. It took about 5 steps and started to drop its’ head and raise it again. It turned just enough to see a good portion of the neck and I fired once again. This time it took off and trotted into the willows. I ran up just in time to see it disappear into the willows. It took about an hour and several walks through the willows to find it piled up no more than 100 yards from the initial hit. It’s quite amazing how an animal that large can disappear so quickly. It took us about 4 hours to quarter and haul the moose about a ½ mile to the truck. In the process, there was a little cussing, wet feet and a broken game cart. Over-all it was one of the more exciting hunts I have ever been on and it was great to be using my grandfather’s rifle and having my dad be part of the hunt.

That's fantastic, congratulations to all of you! "a broken game cart." I suppose you should buy the new game cart, eh, it was your moose. I wish I had a problem like that sometime, wow, its not a bad problem to have. Way to go!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back