Idaho Archery Antelope

IdahoBugler

I went up a couple days early to scout for a moose for my dad and to hunt a specific goat I have seen for 4 years. This goat lives up in the forested area right next to all the deer and elk. I headed up early on Sunday morning and was getting into his hangout when I spotted him running down the road in front of me. Of course no bow in hand I watched as he took his herd up the hill. Finding that no one had taken him I decided to walk in early and get setup before they walked up the ridge as it looked like a routine they had been following for a while, from evidence of the trail they had been using. Monday morning I started walking up the skid road when I saw some does 100 yards ahead but no buck. I played cat and mouse with the herd for about 100 yards but lost ground to the does which where now 150 yards up the hill. As I was looking for the buck I looked a little to my right and caught the buck feeding at 60 yards. As I drew on him he looks up at me. He starts walking and I put the 60 pin dead on his neck. After the shot the buck stops and the arrow takes out his jugler. :eek: He walks 20 yards and within 2 minutes stumbles to the ground. Like I always say better to be lucky then good. He was all I thought he was and I'm very happy to have taken him. Hopefully the does will pick up another buck to take up to the trees to start another generation of bucks in the heavily forrested trees.

P.S. We will have to wait until next year to see what "Captain Hook" will score.

What do you guys think he gross scores?
P1020634.jpg

HuntTalk hat for extra fantasy points. Oh yeah, I'm not on a team. :confused:
P1020632.jpg

P1020631.jpg

P1020630.jpg

P1020623.jpg

Nice buck IB! Is this a draw hunt with really good odds of drawing?

Ovis, I'm guessing it's IMPOSSIBLE to draw that unit. I don't even think you should even try ;)

Let's start Counting : Spring turkey, Spring bear, Archery antelope, Coming up... Archery/rifle deer and Archery/rifle elk, 2nd draw elk, Oregon Deer, NM Deer, And probably late Idaho 2nd Buck ? Looks like a Boring year for ya :D

Kudos on the lope man !!!!!

Ovis, I'm guessing it's IMPOSSIBLE to draw that unit. I don't even think you should even try

Moosie, you know my time in Idaho was pretty short. I forgot you could hunt lopes with a bow without drawing, but to hunt them with a firearm you needed to draw. My bad!

Isn't it pretty rare to find lopes so close to cover?

Antelopes for Archery are over the counter in Idaho. Gesh, I couldn't even mess with you for 10 mins before you knew the answer.... ;)

Gesh, I couldn't even mess with you for 10 mins before you knew the answer....

Yelp, I'm smarter than the average bear moosie. I figure things out quick like, you know?

IB,
Allow me to interrupt the banter between Frick and Frack as they mess with each other.....

But congrats on the MountainLope. I like them in the timber. And if you want to try again next year, there are some about 40 miles from your house in Timber like that...

Elkgunner

I thought buffoonery was the name of the game here at Moosie's. Hey, why didn't you ever take me on a guided antelope hunt?

Nice goat IB,
I'm not real good with judging them but I'm gonna say bout 70-75 on a gross score. How tall is he 14-15? Nice prongs and ivory tips. Doesn't look like he's been fightin yet. I haven't had a chance to get out yet. Congrats

Thanks for the comments guys. I'll let a few more guesses go on the score before I give the length of the horns out.

Ovis and gunner - I've hunted a few goats in the timber but not like the timber this guy lived in. I shot him on the closest ridge about half way up in the picture.
P1020639.jpg

BigBuxMT - This buck is the only one around for a good 5 miles. I've never seen another buck around him in the four years I've seen him. So he had no need to fight. I just hope the does will bring another suiter in place of the one I shot.

Prolly after the Goose hunt he took you on he thought it was a wate of time ?

Hence the reason I don't have a handle like "Ifitfliesitdies" or "honker", etc, etc...I don't do the waterfowl thing. It is for pansies who can't hunt animals with four legs.

Ovis and gunner - I've hunted a few goats in the timber but not like the timber this guy lived in. I shot him on the closest ridge about half way up in the picture

IB...I think that lope was lost. Regardless, glad you found him. Congrats again.

Very nice timber goat IB. We found lope consistently in one area in unit 50 at above timberline. They are where you find them.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back