Caribou Gear Tarp

Montana Sling Rapid Adjust Rifle Sling

istdesigns

** This is posted with permission from Moosie **

We are trying to get the word out on a new product and wanted to let the people on this board know about it. It is called the Montana Sling, and it's a totally new rifle sling design. It is 100% USA-made. In fact, it's made right here in our shop in Bozeman, Montana.

The sling is a single loop design and has a patented triple-wrap knot, which allows you to adjust the length without any buckles or hooks. You just slide the knot to where you want it, and it won't slip. It won't overtighten, being premium bridle leather (over 1/8" thick and this leather is not used for rifle slings normally because it costs too much), and allows you to adjust it again just as easily. In fact, the more you use it the better it gets through break-in.

Why would you want this? Well, it lets you adjust your sling for carry, or let it out a bit right away to use for a hasty sling, or snug it up in seconds to go in a scabbard, rack, or safe. The days of having a your sling hanging up on sage and branches as you walk with your rifle at the ready will be gone. Plus, the Titan swivels that come with it are also a made-in-USA product. They don't squeak and they're 100% guaranteed for life just like the sling. (Uncle M*ke swivels are from China, FYI)

We would love to hear back from anyone that uses the sling, in fact, we'll give you 10% off the sling just because this board is a good group of hunters (even Greenhorn). Probably the best comment so far is "The only thing I don't like about this sling is that I didn't come up with it." Use coupon code "Moosie" (without the quotes) if you order one from our website.

The Montana Sling so far has won a "Top Pick of the Shot Show" from Field & Stream, it is North American Hunting Club Field Tested and Approved, and Boone & Crockett is going to have us put their logo on a run of them next month.

In short, we believe in the product because we use it and it works. But being a small company it's tough for us to advertise much - the big magazines are really expensive. Maybe as hunters that's why we don't get to see too many ads if they aren't done by a major manufacturer.

A bit about IST Designs: The company direction is to only sell products that we ourselves use. We are too tired of the total junk in the outdoor marketplace, and the fact that most stuff comes with a taillight guarantee. We made it, and we stand behind it. The Montana Sling is one of those products that should last a lifetime - take care of it like you do any leather product and it just keeps getting better.

Check out our stuff, everything is 100% guaranteed for life. The site is www.istdesigns.com or call us toll free at 888-478-6565.

Thanks Moosie, for letting us post this.

Attachments

• mtsling.jpg
    mtsling.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 7,598
  • mtsling2.jpg
    mtsling2.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 8,348
  • mtsling3.jpg
    mtsling3.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 6,558
Oops - forgot to include this pic - these are our current Titan swivels, when the Uncle M*kes gave us too many failures and were too difficult to work with we changed to these. Photos with the UM's above are being redone - sorry! The Titans are USA made and are a pull-pin design like on an AR. They have a stainless steel ball and spring, and a brass non-squeak pin. Note there's only one hinge point, it's a solid frame, not made from wire and stamped parts. :cool:

Attachments

• mtsling4.jpg
    mtsling4.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 6,688
Looks like a great, practical sling. What is the difference between the Montana Sling an the Montana Sling Cobra?

Thanks! The Montana Sling comes in 3 styles and either style can be had in brown or black. There is a 1" which is in the pics, a 1 1/4" due out in a couple weeks, and a Cobra style which has a sewn shoulderpad of 1 3/4" by about 13". It is due out in about a week. It is a two piece sling, sewn with top quality nylon thread, built to last.

I'll post a pic when I get back to the office Tuesday, and scale the other pics down a bit.

Here's what we recommend:

1" => perfect for lightweight mountain rifles and most factory rifles in the 6-7 lb range.
1 1/4" => great for a slightly heavier rifle, or those that prefer a wider strap.
Cobra => for hauling a heavy gun, bull barrel, etc.

Just as a Note , I have the Montana Sling, I've put it on my Rifle. I haven't been able to Field test it much since I ordered it a few months ago yet but the Season is here dang soon. The adjustment is as easy as they claim and the rings are as quiet too. I'm not one to believe Sales Hype so I had to see it for myself. Plus Greenhorn knew these clowns so I figured they probably are 1/2 ligit ;)

I will buy the Cobra when it comes out to see how it differs. Keep us posted on the products guys !!!

These guys make a Solid product and they stand behind it. If anyone is in the market take a Good look at what they have. You guys know me, If a Product sucks I tell it how it is, Same goes for a Good product. And this is a Good product. They actually make a Few other products that are handy too.

Boone and Crockett Picks Montana Sling!

The Montana Sling got picked to be the Official Boone and Crockett Club rifle sling!

Check out the B&C Store - their version is a special run and has the Boone & Crockett name on it next to our normal brand.

Leet,

Go to our website, www.istdesigns.com or go to www.booneandcrockett.org for the official club version. You can order online at both of those places. There is a discount for B&C members at their store.

Cabela's carries the 1" version (both in their stores, their catalog, and online), and will add the others in January. We are working on retailers right now, so far besides Cabela's we have regionals like Bob Wards, Yellowstone Gateway Sports, Shedhorn Sports, and a few others. Working on others, please ask your favorite store to carry it! :D

FYI I used the 1 1/4" this past weekend antelope hunting and it works awesome. Opens easily large enough to go across my back with a bipod on the rifle and a daypack on.

In southern Idaho, Sportsman's Warehouse is who we are trying to get into but the buyer is really swamped. If you could tell your hunting department manager that you want this product it might help! It's tough getting new products into retail chains.

good looking swivels...the cobra looks like it might be a slightly more comfortable carry.

noharleyyet,

The swivels work incredibly well. They are definitely superior to UM swivels - everyone loves them that tries them out. The Cobra style is 1 3/4 wide and built more for heavy guns. I would say the 1 1/4 is the best all-around, and that is what I personally use. This is because it opens and closes over a larger range.

Also, although it is more work, we radius the inside edges of all the leather that rides on your shoulder. (Meaning we knock off the sharp 90 degree edge that would cause some rub - no other companies do this) We also supple the leather by hand, which makes it conform to your shoulder (again, no other companies do this). It's all hand work, but this is a premium product, we don't cut any corners.

Hope this helps!

re: Montana Sling

Got to say I love the product! I have used one all spring and summer, now I am ready for Big Game.

I just got back from Antelope hunting, and it was great to easily tighten it while belly-crawling on a group of antelope! I got a nice average sized buck, and had a great hunt.

I really like how the tight adjustment keeps it out of hte way in the gunsafe and pickup rack!

Trader Brothers south of Lolo, MT has them in-stock as well!

Shortside

...bump

Well, it took me nearly 6 years but I finally ordered a couple of sewn 1 1/4"s in brown and black.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back