Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

What about this Antelope?

IdahoBugler

What do all you antelope experts think this lope will score? I had him dead to rights but his does winded me at about 100 yards out. I'm thinking of pursuing him strictly to try and get an arrow in him. I know where he waters and there is a juniper I can hang a tree stand in about 45 yards out. I'm thinking I might get away with some stuff being up in the tree.

If anything this goat is pretty sweet looking to me. His horns curve forward and his prongs flare out. Not very heavy but he makes up for it in other places. He has long curls on top.

Sorry for the crappy pics, they were taken through my spotter with my video camera.
IMGA0107.jpg

IMGA0100.jpg

IMGA0097.jpg

IMGA0093.jpg

IMGA0090.jpg

Greeny - This is stubby. The one you posted is a hog. This one came into another water hole I was sitting on.
smalllopeh20hole.jpg

smalllopeh20hole2.jpg

That is a COOL one! I'd guess him 77-78, 16 inches tall. Way cool shape. I had a buck like that picked out as a back up in 2002. A friend got him that year, he was 17" tall and around 80 gross, but the exact shape.. we called him "The Claw" I'll scan in a picture of it when I get a chance.

I hope you nail that bad boy.. he's a beautiful buck!

I think he's closer to 15", around 76-77. Awesome looking buck, though! Good luck!

Oak

The Claw

Here's his long lost cousin from Montana:

This one was 17" in length. With all that length on top, I think that buck you are after will certainly go 16".

Thanks for the pics Greeny. It's almost scary how close both of those bucks are. But I do think the one your buddy shot is a little taller. I'ver heard anything from 13" to 16". I'm guessing somewhere around 15". The mass is close and "Captian Hook" may have a hair bigger cutters. Do you remember what that buck scored?

Here's the shorter one in question.

shorty.jpg

Note the ear at the top of the prong and the length of the top compared to the ear length.

Here's the 17 inch one again.

attachment.php

Note the ear at the bottom of the prong and the top length compared to the shortness of the ear.

That prong is what 2 inches top to bottom?

I think the claw's score was about 80 gross and 78 something net. I didn't measure it, but heard that. I figured he was 17" tall, and heard his horns measured 16 7/8. I really think that one you have in the pictures will be closer to 16 than 15.. whole lot of curl on the top adds up.

I guess there will be only one way to find out. But unfortunetly (not really) I will be leaving for Southeast Idaho on Saturday to pre-scout a couple of days before the opener. Then hunt the opener for a week. Lots of lopes up that way also. The earliest I will be hunting captain hook will be sometime around the 6th of Sept. I hope he's still around.

Greeny - I'm with you bud. In the 5th picture you can really see how long his hooks are. Definetly deceiving in the other pictures. Those long curls like that add up a lot quicker then the short sharp hooks.

4 are missleading and one is good, geesh. In the 5th, its not double the ear? You guys have seen a lot more than me, I'm just going by the pictures, real life helps a lot. I hope you find out, or find a bigger one first!!

Tom - I'm just saying the angle of the 5th pic shows off the hook better. I never said the others made the buck look smaller. Actually in the 3rd pic he definetly looks double his ears. But I'm definetly with you on finding a bigger first. I'll be hunting 250 miles from this one so hopefully I can find something better.:)

I have scored several goats and I would guess that goat at 14" and a score in the 69-72 range. With a bow that would be P&Y.

Maybe I'm giving him too much, but I still think he's 15.5+ tall and over 75 without much problem.

He's definately bigger than 72...and unquestionably longer than 14.

Good luck and I hope you get him.

he will not score well you can see the tips if his ears go past the fork but with a bow i would take him

Just a heads up "Captain Hook" will live for another year. I shot a decent one ;) on the 29th. Pictures will follow today sometime.

Come on IB, you're dragging us along like Moosie and his "life changing" news he has yet to tell us about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back