Not a bad speed goat....

iminrut

Doing some more scouting....looking for that wall-hanger to be......came across this guy......has got great mass, but a little weak in the curl and prongs.

What do ya think....low 70's ??

This a bad angle of him with his head tipped forward, but he was a little wired and wouldn't stnad still for a pic....

17390100_0329-med.JPG

I left the area and came back a half hour later and was able to catch him on a hill top, but rushed the pic, so i didn't get a good focus....

17390100_0333-med.JPG

That is true, but you don't see many bigger in our state.....but I'll keep looking for one in the 80" range.........I wish gas was still a buck a gallon, LOL :eek: :D

He should be a good one in another year or two, if he can make it that long........he's in a hard to access area, so he should make it weather permitting......

Yeah, I'll agree with Colorado hunter......70,72. Good goat, definatly a shooter in my book.

OK....I think I found my 80"+ goat.........I was driving backroads on the way home form work when I came across this fella.....

I'm almost embarrassed to post this pic, but it's all I could manage, as he was bedded a lonnngggg ways off, and I just couldn't seem to get any zoom pics with any amount of clarity, especially through the spotting scope.......and I was crunched for time, so a stalk was out....at this time anyways... ;) I will be be posting better pics the next chance I get to go and get closer to him....

He has great mass, and what I like are his deep inward curls in which his tips nearly touch...the perfect heart shape......you can make them out if you look hard.......if you can't, use your imagination, LOL :D

17390101_0298-med.JPG

17390Big_Goat-med.jpg

Here's the best one I could find this summer in MT. Headed to Wyoming in a couple of weeks to look at some different ones. Don't have any more time to look around in MT so if this one is still hanging out, I'll probably shoot him in October with a rifle. I don't have much time as I plan to spend about a week in Wyoming and 2 weeks in Arizona this fall. I spent 3 full days looking and saw 2 that I thought were marginally good enough, this was the better of the two, I think. After looking at about a thousand of them, they all start to look the same.

Guess the score..

Anybody care to guess the measurements/score on this goat here? It was killed by a bowhunter yesterday. I really misjudged it.

I'll take a guess...I ain't skeered....

....even though it may be way off, LOL

:D :D

I'll say 15"r....nice mass throughout, and prongs are nice.......78" :eek:

I'll give a little hint. That buck just crushed our Pope and Young state record. The length is 15.5. bottom mass is both well over 7" on both, and the prong is almost 7". The shape of the bottom part of the horn is "round", and the prongs are cupped, sort of curved inward.. makes it look smaller than you'd think. I figured he was big, like 82 maybe at best, but he's about 5-6" bigger than that if the numbers I heard are accurate.

Greenhorn said:
I'll give a little hint. That buck just crushed our Pope and Young state record. The length is 15.5. bottom mass is both well over 7" on both, and the prong is almost 7". The shape of the bottom part of the horn is "round", and the prongs are cupped, sort of curved inward.. makes it look smaller than you'd think. I figured he was big, like 82 maybe at best, but he's about 5-6" bigger than that if the numbers I heard are accurate.

See...that's whats so dang deceptive about pics......and even seeing them on the hoof can not do them justice sometimes......I'd have never guessed him to have the much mass, but man how fast it can add up !! :eek: I figured him to have 5" prongs.....cupping definitely pushed him along in his score also.......

Great buck......I just saw a picture of our ND state record today...the Archie Malm buck which also used to be the world record....88.5" shot in 1959.....it looked very similar to the buck you posted.......

Back