PEAX Equipment

Anybody use Dutch ovens?

I've used em. They work great. Bisquit dough peach cobbler in the hills is hard to beat.

My dad uses them quite extensivly and tells me that the number on the top is how many birquets you put on the top and under neath to get it to cook right....

I am certain about the number on the top, but I am not quite so sure about the bottem, I would have to check on that...

I know the number actually designates the size of the kettle, but the rule of thumb given above seems to work well for him, they cook stews, cakes and any thing else that comes to their imagination I guess...

I have "3". I make... apple cobbler, beer bread, yams, taters and steak in them. I'm always open to new thing to cook in them!! Let me know!! elkay

I've got a few also. An easy meal when camping is sloppy joes with biscuits on top. We also make lots of different cobblers, potatoes with bacon and onion, orange chicken, chicken & asparagus, etc. The rule of thumb I always use is to add 3 briquets to the size of the oven on top and subtract three underneath. For example, if you have a 12" oven, use 15 on top and 9 underneath. This will give you a cooking temp of approximately 350 degrees so you adapt to different recipes. There's tons of recipes on the net also.

I used to cook with them a lot, and recently bought another because I missed the great outdoor foods. I was wondering if anybody had some special recipes. I have had some great chicken dinners and tamale pies out of dutches.

Lets have the Tamale Pie Recipe!!!!

I've cooked a lot with them, but dont have much for a recipe, just layer stuff in there and let it cook till I think its done!! I dont use briquets either, its usually over a fire or using fire coals....

Put some bacon in the bottom, potatoes and onions and carrots on top of that, then through some steaks or a roast on that and surround it with more veggies...salt pepp of course.

Yum.

There was a guy on here who was an expert on cast iron coooking from Ohio. I think he even has his own website.

Ten Bears - Tamale Pie:

(1) 12" Dutch Oven

Crust Batter:

(1 1/2) cups yellow cornmeal
(1) can cream corn
(1 1/2) cups buttermilk
(2) eggs - beaten
(1/2) tsp baking soda
(1/2) tsp salt/pepper each
(1/2) cup olive oil - (I have been told bacon grease/"drippings" works great also)

Filling:

(1 1/4 - 1 1/2) pounds of your favorite ground meat - (I prefer that tough old buck I killed during hunting season).
(1) pound of cheddar cheese - grated
(2) Tblsps of cornmeal
(1) onion - chopped fine
(1) can corn (drained)
(1) can stewed tomatoes (drained)
(1) can olives (drained)
(1) can peppers (green chillis or jalapenos)
**(1) packet of your favorite taco seasoning.

Brown ground meat and drain the fat, add taco seasoning without the water, and mix well. In a large bowl mix meat, corn, peppers, tomatoes, and onion.

Cover bottom of Dutch Oven with the (2) Tblsps of cornmeal and heat until it starts to brown. While this is happening, mix your crust ingredients.

When the cormeal has browned, remove from heat, pour 1/2 the batter into the bottom of the Dutch Oven and let stand 2 minutes. Next place 1/2 the cheese in the Dutch Oven, followed by the meat mixture. Drain the olives, and cover the top of the mixture with the olives. Pour the remaining batter over the olives.

Place Dutch Oven over 5-7 brickettes and place 14-18 brickettes on the lid. Cook for about 40 - 45 minutes.

Remove Dutch oven from heat, remove lid, place remaining cheese over pie and let it melt.

Serve.

This serves about 6-8 people.

I believe that

it is between 15 and 20 degrees per briquet, and try to make sure that the bottem briquetes are not touching the bottem of the oven as if touching it makes it easier to burn and will not heat as evenly as should.

Hey there's a fella there in Idaho who goes by CW or Cee-Dub. He has a dutch oven/camp cooking show on the Boise PBS channel and he's written several books on the subject. BRD DAWG's advice sounds close to what I remember. I know Sportsmans Wharehouse carries the books if you're interested.

The real secret to baking with a Dutch Oven is to have everyone come in, from a really really really long day afield, tired as hell; dirty, hungry, & sore. :cool:

Half baked taters, raw carrots, doughy biscuits, semi-cooked tough squirrel meat, and watery gravy instantly turns into a 'Perfect' stew !!!! It beats the hell out of cold MRE' S !!! :D

G46, I think the only thing you got right was the "It beats the hell out of cold MRE'S" part. I aint yet had half baked taters, raw carrots, doughly bicuits, and the squirrel meat seems to over cook to easy. :D Maybe you needed more brickets (heat). :D :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back